Angels hatching

Olly

My first lot of angel eggs are hatching today :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

so excited. they are a solid black female spawned with a normal silver male so hopefully they will all be black :D

they were laid on the filter in their community tank so i scraped the eggs off with a craft knife blade into a little container. now there are heaps of tiny wriggling blobs in the bottom of the container

Also tomorrow night my zebra angel eggs are due to hatch :D

now i need to know how to raise them

when should i take the airline out? - as soon as they are wriggling or only once they are free swimming?

what is best to feed them? - microworms? baby brineshrimp? will they eat decapsulated brine shrimp eggs?

how often and how much should i do water changes?

There is a time after hatching and before free swimming when the fry will stick together. Increase aeration at this time so all the fry have access to sufficient oxygen. (so says ballistic in an article he wrote for the Aquarium World magazine)

Newly hatched brine shrimp are good as first food for fry.

What you will get is dependant on the other genes the parents are carrying. The genes are in pairs and double black is very weak so most people would breed from a black/gold (black) or a black/silver (black) and the silver could be silver/gold (silver) or silver/silver (silver). You could therefore get black, silver or gold. You will get some black and you will be able to work out what genes the parents have. Black is dominant over both silver and gold. Don't feed the young at all until they are free swimming then feed brine shrimp nuplii and or microworm. They are middle feeders and will do best in a shallow bare tank on brine shrimp nuplii (live) as it tends to rise from the bottom towards the light. Leave a pilot light on at night and they will grow even quicker. Keep the temperature up or you will get belly sliders.

i should be ok for tanks but thanks for the offer if the tank they are in gets too packed too quick i may take you up on that.

what i am going to need if im successful is a big heater so i can set up my spare tank

They are feeding on the yolk sack when hatch and when that is used up they start swimming to look for food. They don't feed until the yolk is consumed and many people make the mistake of feeding too early and the uneaten food rots and causes a bacterial bloom which uses up the oxygen in the water and hey presto--dead fish. Adding a few snails is used by many at this stage. It does't remove the waste but it changes the form of it so it is easier for you to remove. Try to feed as often as you can and learn to judge the amount so that it is consumed and not building up waste.

so.. hows it going, u manage to get them eating yet? Im curious to know if you will get many blacks. Im after a black ;) *hint, hint* Mine are black and white marbled (some with a bit of gold crown) and koi. I do have one that is mainly black but he is very small so might not survive.. Actually I do have a question for some of the more experienced angel breeders. A few of my angels have come out with no bottom fins. You know, those 2 extra long fins that hang from the bottom of their body. I heard I should have culled these when they were very very little but couldnt bring myself to do it as they are perfectly fine in every other way and im thinking I may just keep them for myself ;) Is this just a defect that happens to some when born into such a large group?

I think i fed the older lot too early. they were swimming around but kept falling back to the ground and lying there. i fed them and yesterday morning they were all dead :( so no black ones for now.

the zebras are all alive still though, and im going to wait until they are actually swimming before feeding this lot :-?

a definition of free swimming would be good. is it when they detach themselves from the pipe, or when they swim a bit and then sit on the ground again, or when they swim constantly?

First of all, dont give up, once you get the hang of it angels are very easy to breed. I had 3 goes before I actually had a success! You can only learn from the mistakes you make each time. Okay, Im going to try my best to explain my definition of free swimming, bear with me:

Firstly, dont stress too much about getting them food STRAIGHT away. They have that 'yolk sac' thingee on them still which is giving them food. I wait until they are ALL (99%) swimming around and not just swimming out and then straight back to the wall or wherever their parents stuck them. My guess is somewhere around 7-9 days. Some of them wont even know what to do with live brineshrimp yet lol (a few of mine just chased them round before they figured out it was food!) Youll most likely have many deaths before you get the survivors. Just takes time! But if youre serious I recommend getting one of those live brineshrimp hatcheries that you stick into the tank with them. The shrimp hatch constantly and swim straight out into the clean freshwater tank. Its the best thing I bought for my breeding!