First Tank: Want to set up for Koura & Shrimp

Romeo

Gidday,

//Before I start, I warn you that this is a bit long winded. Plus I don't have any idea what I'm talking about - so take it easy!

I just bought my very first tank today - $57.

It's an 80*30*30cm tank, mathematically that's 72 litres, but I only plan to put about 45 litres in. It was only a few weeks old before it was put into storage and there's no signs of scratches or damage.

It came with a 2 week old Eheim 2006 180lpm filter thing and a 2 week old Masterpet 50w heater. I've got them running in a bucket downstairs to test if they're working alright. The filter is incredibly quiet, I can't believe it - I'm watercooling my next PC for sure!

... and that's the sum total of what I know about keeping fish - and I read all of that line for line off the Internet aswell!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where it's at now

The tank had been sitting in the previous owner's garage for the last month with an inch of water and "substrate" in it, as well as a huge bloody lump of aquarium wood. When I got it home I found out there were a LOT of snails growing in the tank. The water, if you can call it that, is really thick with what's left of the bottom of the wood from where the snails have attacked it. The tank still smells fresh though, there's no bad smells or anything (just smells a little woody).

Apparently the wood was leeching quite badly and staining the previous owner's water.

The Filter thing, Eheim one, has been out of the water for the last month or so. Will there be any "good" bacteria left in it? Actually, how do you get into the bloody thing anyway?

The heater, well, I don't think Koura like warm water. So I'll just sell it, or try and do a part swap + cash for a lamp?

How much am I looking at paying for a lamp for my 80cm wide tank? Is there a DIY method to making one on the cheap?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where I want it to be

I want to have 1 Koura in there, with 5-10 freshwater shrimp. I've seen this exact setup at the Southern Encounters aquarium in central CHCH. Bloody awesome little shrimp too.

This is the part where you tear my dreams to shreds by telling me I've bought the wrong tank or something ;s?

How to get there

This is the part where you tell me where to start, I've read a few of the suggested articles but they don't really seem to be that suited to my needs.

Can I totally clear out my tank and start afresh?

- Buy new buckets and towels from the Warehouse and not use anything that's had nasty chemicals on it.

- Take out all the "substrate" and give it a damn good cleaning in the sink?

- Take out the wood and give them a good soaking in some hot water?

- How can I get rid of the snails?

- Once it's all clean, where to next?

th_Tank.jpg

th_Filter_and_Heater.jpg

th_2xGarys.jpg PS: What kind of snails are these (4-6mm long)? Would it be safe to put a couple into my GF's Goldfish tank?

Thanks a lot,

Romeo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dixon, feel free to make an offer (or better yet, swap for smaller bits). I don't really want that huge piece of wood to be honest. I was just going to cut it up into smaller pieces anyway, but I guess that would be a bit of a waste of a nice big bit of wood. Bear in mind it has been soaking overnight in hot water, so I don't know if it's still fit for your purposes.

Don't suppose you want to buy the (nearly) brand new Masterpet 50w heater as well?

Well, I couldn't honestly tell you as I've only had it for about 24 hours - 12 of which it's been soaking in a hot bath (supertub). It didn't seem to be leeching all that much but I'd imagine that it would leech over time.

Maybe run it through a few more hot baths and it would be fine? It's got a few snail eggs, and some grass stuff growing on it, but other than that it's fine. I can take some better pictures of it later tonight if you'd like.

You gotta good deal mate. I rekon you should keep the heater, it'll come in handy down the track raising brine shrimp or something. Wash ya substrate in a bucket, not the sink! Hey, I've got a filter like that too. They are good for years of use. Ya get at the sponge by pulling off the top. Shrimps, bullies and koura like a bit of wood in the tank too. Look on trade-me for a flourescent light the same size as ya tank and build a hood out of cheap ply or something and You'll be all set. Oh yeah, chuck the snails out. They can be really hard to get rid of later on. Hot water should fix the eggs.

It's an 80*30*30cm tank, mathematically that's 72 litres, but I only plan to put about 45 litres in.

Why so little? The depth won't worry the critters, and the bigger the volume the more stable the water quality and temperature is.

Personally I would biff the substrate and get some from a river bank. If you want your aquarium to look like an aquarium, use commercial substrate. If you want it to look like a stream, get some gravel from a stream.

Personal choice though.

Wood can look nice in an aquarium, if it is the right size/shape. The leaching is tannins (the same stuff that colours tea). I like it in my kokpopu tank, which is modeled on a deep pool in a slow bush stream. All depends on the look you are going for. Mostly it only changes the water slightly yellowish, and it does not affect the fish or water quality.

Snails... some people hate them, others love them. I always thought snails were cool. No idea what type they are sorry.

There definitely won't be any good bacteria left in the filter. Have a read-up on cycling an aquarium. There are probably as many ways of cycling as there are articles, your brain probably will explode. I still like www.skepticalaquarist.com for this sort of thing. Complex but ACCURATE.

I don't know how to get into that filter.... often they sort of screw off, or unclip or something... good luck! Give whatever is in there a good clean, and throw out and black gritty things, it will be expired carbon. I wouldn't bother replacing it, it constantly needs replacing and probably wouldn't do much on that volume.

Oh, do a search on the filter model, you will probably find some instructions or similar.

Have a look in Bunnings or similar, lots of bits and pieces in the fluroesent light section can be useful for aquarium lights. And a piece of plastic guttering turned upsidedown makes a good cover :)

Expect the cray to eat any shrimp it can get it's claws on.

Seriously, plants suck in native tanks. They get covered in alage, they don't like current and the lower light levels that look good for natives are not good for plants. Personal choice though.

Oh, ignore anyhting anyone says about using a chemical dechlorinator. Kills crays. Chlorine evaporates if the water sits in a bucket overnight, or if you blast the water into a bucket (that chlorine smell is it escaping!).

What next....

Tear everything apart and clean it.

Buy any bits and pieces you need (an electric timer is great for the lights!)

Read about cycling an aquarium.

Read about cycling an aquarium again ;)

Set up the tank:

Situate in a spot away from heat sources and windows but near to a powerpoint.

Check that you are quite happy sitting on top of the stand. Wiggle a little. It needs to be strong!

Put polystyrene under that tank.

Add substrate and rocks creating lots of caves.

Add filter (try in a corner a little hidden behind some rocks)

Add water (from the stream would be great, bacteria not killed by chlorine)

Switch everything on. Expect the water to be cloudy. This should mostly be settled by tomorrow.

Leave it alone for a week to settle and so you are happy everything works and isn't leaking.

Lots of good advice there Stella. Hey mate, the filter thing has a grey plastic top that you just pull upwards, then reach in and pull the sponge out. Give a good clean to start with or even buy a new one (twin pack @ about $20.00). When it has been running a while and is actually working, just rember that bacteria live in it and dont be too hard on them when Ya clean it.

yes stella is right about dechlorinators down her in christchurch we dont have chlorine in our water despite what some pet shops will tell u . remeber to place ur tank away from heat sources in your house(eg windows , fireplace or heater). natives biggest enenmy is heat . i have shrimps in with my goldfish so they should be fine in there as long as there are plenty of places to hide (think piles of 3-6cm rocks in the corners and some bog wood with sand (riversand availible at oderings $6 a huge bag) in the middle. i would go with a 2ft single tube, (u mite be able to pick up a cheap 1 on tradme) this will give u bright enuff light for veiwing but also leave some dark patches in case they are shy of the light , ane more light and i think u would never see the livestock as it would be hiding all the time! shrimps can be found in most streams and rivers around here use a net and scoop it thru the oxy weed as for koura im not sure where to find them

Thanks for all the advice, especially Stella, Spoon and Snorkel!

I'll read through it all a few more times then get back to cleaning my tank.

RE the chiller:

My room's in the basement and it rarely reaches temperatures above 20°c, even when it's 32°c+ outside! Plus, if the water temperature gets over a certain threshold I can always put a small bottle of frozen water into the tank right?

RE the weed:

I'd love to put some weed in of some sort, but I've read that Koura will turn them all into floating piles of despair literally overnight. Is there any truth to that?

RE stocking:

Will my tank be able to comfortably sustain a Koura + 5 to 10 shrimp? My filter's only designed for 50+- litres so I wouldn't want to put the tank's full limit of 70 litres in.

RE Koura food

I hear they eat just about anything, but is one thing better than another? They were feeding them long blades of grass at the Southern Encounters aquarium in town for instance. Some people feed them on worms and stuff, others carrots and vegies.

CHILLER - You lucky sod! I sooooo want your basement! :)

WEED - "floating piles of despair" oh that is a wonderful description! And sadly true. Anything they can't pull to bits they will uproot.

STOCKING - That is a low stocking level. Very low compared to the number of fish most people would have. I think you will be fine filling it up, the filter will more than be able to cope.

FEEDING - Grass! I hadn't heard of that one! I could imagine it though. Mine mostly get what the fish miss (ox heart), fish poo (yeah it's gross, but he has a choice!), sinking pellets and frozen peas (when the supposedly carnivorous fish miss them!). Just chuck in small bits of frozen vegie is easiest. They are naturally detritivores eating 95% vegetable matter in the wild.

Excited yet? :bounce:

java moss and fern tyed to the driftwood with black cotton it dosent mind low lite and will eventually stick to the driftwood really good if u post in trade and exchange im sure some1 will just give u some i would cept i have hardly ane at the moment (gave heaps away already)

Java Moss, I was reading about that just a minute ago. Everyone seemed to think that it was some sort of heathenous weed?!

I'd like some weed, but not if it's impossible to get rid of if I ever change my mind. Is it really as bad as it sounds - what are the downsides of Java moss?

Plus, wont my (future) Koura just tear it all down?

RE Cycling

Would it be a good idea to populate my tank only with Shrimp for the first few weeks/months while the tank gets established and settled down?

PS: Found a great substance to put under my fishtank at the Warehouse today. Foam camping mat roll, 1cm thick foam rubber that compresses down to about 3mm. Heat reflecting and waterproof. 1800*1000mm for $7.99 - beats paying $40 to $50 for proper stuff from Para Rubber!

java moss isnt that bad really with lots of light and fert etc it will grow fast but in coldwater with low light its slow growing and u can tye more cotton around it to train it along your driftwood if it grows too much for your liking just rip some off it out , the koura shouldnt pull it ot as it doesnt have roots and doesnt grow in gravel on the bottom it attaches itself to rocks or wood and grows fine with java fern which does the same. shrimp should be fine to cycle the tank however they are very sensitive to nitrates so it may be better to use ordinary fish food and some established filter media to seed your filter that way you could have the filter running in a bucket while u set ur tank up

Looking great, well done!

(Good to know I am not the only one who is useless with a saw ;)

I find a really good way of neatening up a tank and 'framing' it is to get some black electrical tape and do a line around all the edges. This covers up the silicone and makes it like looking through a window. If you get the wide stuff (try bunnings etc) you can do it right down to the water line, which cuts a bit of glare from the lights.

Love the torches btw! Cunning.

A few more caves would be good. The more hiding places the safer the cray feels and the more it is out and about.

Neat seeing this project coming together! Well done.