stand is 3/4" to small

Abercrombie

I had a 6' setup that had supports every 12 inches rather than a continous base. Had been setup before I got it for about 10 years.I wouldn't recommend doing this, but shows how small 3/4" is a problem for you :)

Was it fully supported around the edges? If so then thats a totally different senario to having the edge of the tank unsupported. I've seen countless stands where only the edges of the tank are supported, and generally they work fine unless you want to pile it full of rocks.

OP; What are the actual dimensions of the tank? I would err on the side of caution and get a thick piece of MDF to go on top of the stand so that the edges of the tank are supported.

and for goodness sake people, its 2008 and we don't live in backwards america, can we please use the metric system!!!!!!! :lol:

haha

Every 12 inches (300mm) it had a 4x2 (err 100x50) going across, each with 2 inches of poly (err 50mm) taped to the top of each and the tank (10mm glass) seated on top. There was the ring of 4x2 around the edges that the sides of the tank could rest on as well, but these had no poly on them, so weren't used to support the tank. Admittedly I laughed when I saw the supports, but it held up.

I wouldn't have set it up like this, but it lasted a decade filled to the top with tropicals in a rest home before I got it, no cracks or stress marks either on the base glass. Tank was the usual 6x2x2 (err 1500x600x600)

Was it fully supported around the edges? If so then thats a totally different senario to having the edge of the tank unsupported. I've seen countless stands where only the edges of the tank are supported, and generally they work fine unless you want to pile it full of rocks.

Supported only around the edges seems to be the norm in the US. And I've met many people who will violently argue with you claiming that it is the only safe way and that any tank will break if you support the whole base.

NZ isn't the only country using metric you know ;)

I personally use feet and inches because they're nicer numbers to deal with for larger stuff.

e.g. '6 foot tank' vs '1 point 5 metre tank'

6x2x2 becomes 1500x600x600 etc

'A foot' vs '30 centimetres'

But for smaller things (under about 6 inches) I always use metric unless I'm forced not to. Its not a fear of fractions, I'm just lazy, easier to say 'pass the 10 mil' rather than 'pass the 13/32th'.

Did you get your nickname from a Colbert Report sketch? I'm guessing unlikely, but I recognised it so thought I'd ask.

nah i didnt the name was longer it was Abercrombie child slayer, a name i had in an online game lol. what channel do ou watch the colbert report on btw?

NZ isn't the only country using metric you know ;)

I personally use feet and inches because they're nicer numbers to deal with for larger stuff.

e.g. '6 foot tank' vs '1 point 5 metre tank'

6x2x2 becomes 1500x600x600 etc

'A foot' vs '30 centimetres'

But for smaller things (under about 6 inches) I always use metric unless I'm forced not to. Its not a fear of fractions, I'm just lazy, easier to say 'pass the 10 mil' rather than 'pass the 13/32th'.

Actually, 6 x 2 x 2 is approximately 1828.8mm x 609.6mm x 609.6mm if you want to be a little more accurate...

use the system you know best

when selling glass, I have a conversion table for those in imperial.

The worst problems I have is with those trying to use metric when they cant get the grasp of it.

Yes, Imperial is slowly dieing and whereas 20 years ago, at least half of the retail sales were in imperial, now days its only possibly one a month