BN caves

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tubes about 4-5cm in diameter but it has a piece of pipe of the front that makes the entranc smaller (about 3-3.5cms). the female is hanging around the cave and he's got his head in the cave and his tail sticking out.

My BN's "cave" was the hollow back of a Venus de Milo statue! I spent ages trying to use driftwood and pipes but an old ornament did the trick. Amazing how they can cram themselves into such a small space. Trouble is I never see the males anymore.

Yeah I think I've seen those ornaments but I think they may be too small for my pair. I've also just noticed that one of my BNs in one of my fighter tank is also a male (he's only about 5 cms). So I added a another one thats about 6cms and I think it'll be a female. I've added small cave thats made from a nutrafin food container with a hole cut in the front. Maybe these guys will breed before the bigger ones

Most Plecs live in colonies. Granted, in the wild they have the option of escaping aggression.

Unfortunately the same rules apply to the very expensive fancy plecs as well.

"you've got to fight for the right to party"

One cave- you are setting up a breeding situation not a holiday park.

You can have lots of hidey holes with a jumble of wood and rock.

Your dominant male will take over the cave- he probably will but not necessarily be the biggest. yes expect some scrapping between the males at this point- the greatest chance of fatality is if dominant male traps a younger male in the cave.

Once this is sorted extract the other males, and just leave the cave ,but I leave a little stack over and around cave for females as they will loiter around there then.

With one cave you can probably sort all this out in a day-then start your seasoning programme.

I use tiny little eheim pumps ( 200-300 ltr/hr) to blow across face of my bamboo or ceramic cave -about 15cm I guess from cave, and not into cave. I do this for aeration. With the tail out the male is actualy guiding a liitle current into the cave, and then fanning with fins.

I found the narrower and darker the cave is the better. Try a 15-20cm pvc tube thats about 1.5-2cm wide with one side blocked off. Then feed them up on blood worm and shrimp pellets for a week then a big 50% cold water change and see what happens. you could also reduce the amount of light during the day so it resembles more winter conditions.

And if you have a good filter and the tank is oxygenated they "should" breed.

I do this with my albinos and GBAs and seems to work, but i would recomend the tube they seem to like that!

mark

The tube cave worked :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: . After not being able to find my torch for ages I found it so I shone it in the tube and theres about 100 eggs :bounce: :bounce: . But after I had a good look he left the cave so I hope they hatch. It may have taken ages and me forgetting about them but they bred :bounce:

The same nothing :lol: Ive lost interest so mitzy will be getting them soon.She will give them a go.I think she intends to get some more females.But im so pleased for you.I know you have been wanting this to happen for a while.Next we will hear you complaining that you are over run with them :lol:

Never.You can never have too many fish 8) . I'll just be complaining that they eat too much and seen they're a big pair I think theres going to be lots of fry each month