Would these make a dog sick?

Dixon1990

My new 8month old puppy went through the fish cupboard the other day :-? :roll: She managed to eat 1 pottle of flakes, some goldfish granules, Opened a bag of tonic salt, chewed through the bottle of Flourish excel.

So would the last 2 make her sick?

She is very, very unwell, the Vet dusnt know what it is shes usually hypo but atm she can barely walk, we thought it was the petrol that spilled behind the house but the Vet said it wasnt.

Cheers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was only about 20ml left, would this ammount make her sick?

ingredients:

Potassium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Gluconate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate, Protein Hydrolysates.

Tonic salt would make it vomit i doubt it would eat that,but if she did she would dehydrate.Has the vet taken blood samples and does he have it on a drip.You have not left any pills or any thing else she or he might have go in to.I hope it comes right.

No don't fed her yogurt it will kill her.It destroys the liver or some thing i cant quite remember what part the vet said.Ask you vet i think it has some thing to do with the kidneys.I have done that it ended in heartbreak,i thought i was doing the right thing.

My money would be on the salt. Dogs don't sweat so salt can easily build up and make them sick. I used to feed my dog pork bones and he would get sick, it wasn't until my neighbour (vet nurse) told me about the salt and not to feed port bones that I clicked.

I'm not sure what the cure would be but I guess getting the dog to drink heaps and wee it out would be an option?

Their systems are probably different but i give my cats leftover yohgurt when i have the pottles (they lick out the leftovers) And they love it:)

A little bit of left over which i would presume is just scrapp[ngs around the side a bit different to feeding it out.Just like chocolate is poisonous to dogs.Mine love chocolate and im guilty of giving it a little square once in awhile,but would not fed it offten or give it acake of chocolate.

Copper Sulfate and Cobalt Sulfate are the two that you should worry about the most. Copper and cobalt are both heavy metals and will poison the puppy. Give it some milk first and if that doesn't work get some EDTA from your vet and give it that.

A little bit of left over which i would presume is just scrapp[ngs around the side a bit different to feeding it out.Just like chocolate is poisonous to dogs.Mine love chocolate and im guilty of giving it a little square once in awhile,but would not fed it offten or give it acake of chocolate.

Cats are lactose intolerant. Any dairy products can make them violently ill.

In saying that, I too feed my cats lots of yoghurt because they love it. But seriously, thats why you should never give them cows milk, always pet milk.

LOL! Really? I have always given our Cats and Dogs Normal Bluetop milk, so had my nana(that has a 18yr old cat) and basicly everyone i know gives their cats normal milk, you sure your statement about cats being lactose intolerant is true?

My money would be on the salt. Dogs don't sweat so salt can easily build up and make them sick. I used to feed my dog pork bones and he would get sick, it wasn't until my neighbour (vet nurse) told me about the salt and not to feed port bones that I clicked.

I'm not sure what the cure would be but I guess getting the dog to drink heaps and wee it out would be an option?

Dogs do sweat - from the pads in their feet. There are also glands located all over the body that produces sweat.

Though depending on the amount of tonic salt your dog ingested that could be a major cause, too much salt for any creature is bad. As our cells are mainly water based and so when heaps of salt is ingested, the cells try to absorb the salt to create an equilibrium of the inside and outside of cells. This however causes the cells to swell to a hypertonic state and can cause them to burst (as it just keeps on ingesting the salt to equalise the concentration). This is why when you're a shipwreck survivor when you drink salt water it always kills you faster. Best to wait it out and try to be rescued.

LOL! Really? I have always given our Cats and Dogs Normal Bluetop milk, so had my nana(that has a 18yr old cat) and basicly everyone i know gives their cats normal milk, you sure your statement about cats being lactose intolerant is true?

100% Positive. I'm doing an animal course at uni, worked in pet stores for 3 years, and been a cat lover for all my 18 years. Unless your cat craps inside then you won't see the results of their illness. Like most lactose intolerant people, they get the runs. Sometimes vomiting, but mainly lots and lots of diarrhea

you might have to give the puppy water through a syringe or similar - not drinking is going to make it worse. it does need to flush it out whatever it is.

I would have thought that if it was plastic causing the problem the vet would have checked.