ripped off & only myself to blame

shadowfax

i was quoted $1100 to get my car fixed, went to pick it up & the bill came to $1374.26!!! The guy that had given me the verbal quote was just filling in for the normal guy while he was away & now its my word against his!!important life lesson - GET A WRITTEN QUOTE!!!! even if its with someone you deal with all the time!!

$1100 +12.5% GST =$1375

shocking maths there lol but a good attempt

Yep verbal vs written quotes - been down that avenue before. Be thankful it was only marginally different - had a similar thing happen to a friend and the difference was much much greater!

the other thing that has caught me out is asking how much will it cost? the aswer is not your quote if u asked for a quote u will get 1 , if u asked how much it costs you will get an estimate. my mechanic wont give quotes for jobs he gives estimates which are normally right on the button never more than $20 either side

Oh that sucks.... :x It is amazing when dealing with a female how all these additional charges slip into the mix...

I know of a mechanic and where he used to work, he said his boss and some of the other past workers there loved dealing with females and their cars as they seemed to take every costing etc given as gospel, and would happily palm out the money.. no questions asked, he said they were easier targets than men folk :roll:

I would be on the phone about the invoice amount and what was verbally quoted, however, I let my hubby deal with that sort of thing as I very easily lose my rag over things like that, not a good look :lol:

i was there along time trying to sort it out, i paid it because i needed my car!! anyway there is a happy ending, the other guy rang to say he had made a mistake & they would be refunding the extra! now i'll just wait to get it..................

but i will never again accept a verbal quote, even if its through someone i usually deal with.

be aware that if you ask for a quote, the person giving the quote needs to build everything into it as people in general will not pay more. The quote contains costs for things that may possibly not be needed but as mentioned, if the job does need need these "things" the customer wont want to pay and will say ÿou should have quoted for it"

If I am asked for a quote, it is ALWAYS more than if the asked for a guesstimate. The cheapest way is to tell me to go ahead and do the job. That way because Im being trusted, I feel the need to to the best job I can for the cheapest cost.

I simply prefer to give a quote because I will make a lot more from the job

Just something to think about

I always say that if it is going to cost more for them to please call and check with me first.

As a dental assistant we are always doing estimates for people, but they are always based on what it MIGHT cost. Once we actually get in there things can change quite dramatically so can the cost. (We make sure people know that first.) Cars would be similar, once you start taking bits apart you may find the problem is worse.

But still no matter how often you say ESTIMATE you always have the odd selectively deaf person who doesn't listen, or only hears the lowest figure.

Shadowfax, I'm pleased it is being sorted in your favour :)

about a year ago i was standing behind to bosses at a mechanic work shop.one of the guys finish the job he was working on.they were talking about the price for the finished job. one of the guys said its to cheap throw another $200 dollars on it.they did turn around and see me they just smiled.

and another thing to working for a goverment department. the mechanics their that service the cars say oh its ok they can affort it. its a goverment department they have a big budget

the mechanics that work there are a private outfit, but it is so easy for people there having a garage where you work drive to work drop car off and you still at work

well its not a happy out come yet, my account has been credited with some of the amount but its still short about $60 odd & the guy was meant to ring me & chat about it but hasn't. & i dont really want a credit of nearly $300 at the garage :roll:

All sounds kind of normal to me. As long as they can validate why it cost more than the original quote/estimate. What I do is say outright, if it goes over this amount call me. So they don't have approval to do work beyond a set price limit. Worked for me so far.

Tell you what though, made the mistake of going to PitStop for brake disc skimming and new pads. Will never make that mistake again. Prices were stupid. Cost me like $450! $100 per pair of brake pads, god I so wanted to tell him where he could stick his $100 pair of brake pads. My fault for not asking for a quote before I sent it in!! ... but ouch

And above where it was said a mechanic added $200 to a bill, thats common and not a mechanics thing. People will pay what its worth to them, so the value of a product or service varies depending on demand and customer satisfaction. If they can do something faster and more efficent, and still charge the same amount, then their efficency is rewarded with profit. If they charged less, then their efficency has little reward if any. How long it took doesn't effect the customer, as long as they get 'x service' for 'x price'. We do it at work as well, but its not $200, its often $5-20K.

All sounds kind of normal to me. As long as they can validate why it cost more than the original quote/estimate. What I do is say outright, if it goes over this amount call me. So they don't have approval to do work beyond a set price limit. Worked for me so far.

Tell you what though, made the mistake of going to PitStop for brake disc skimming and new pads. Will never make that mistake again. Prices were stupid. Cost me like $450! $100 per pair of brake pads, god I so wanted to tell him where he could stick his $100 pair of brake pads. My fault for not asking for a quote before I sent it in!! ... but ouch

And above where it was said a mechanic added $200 to a bill, thats common and not a mechanics thing. People will pay what its worth to them, so the value of a product or service varies depending on demand and customer satisfaction. If they can do something faster and more efficent, and still charge the same amount, then their efficency is rewarded with profit. If they charged less, then their efficency has little reward if any. How long it took doesn't effect the customer, as long as they get 'x service' for 'x price'. We do it at work as well, but its not $200, its often $5-20K.[/quote

Completly agree. As a mechanic myself I'd say the best advise is to ask for a estimate, and if the cost is going to exceed this to call and ask for aproval. Most of the time it is VERY hard to give an excact quote on a job as diagnosis nowday's normally take's more time that the repair itself.

I think it's a bit harsh to tar all workshop's with the dirty woman ripping of price hiker's of the past. Sure there are still some out there but 90% of the guy's in the trade I know I could honestly say are fair and legit.

People need to realise how complex car's are nowday's and what is involved in diagnosis and repair of them.

Gone are the day's of point's ignition, carb's, 4 speed's and leaf springs.....