Introduction

Grandma

Hello, I'm really glad to have found this group!

Ever since I was a very little girl I have been fascinated by aquariums and now I have the time and opportunity to have one for myself but know very little about keeping tropical fish.

Your website is very informative! Thankyou.

I have started with one small tank with heater and waterfall type filter. So far have managed to keep 2 adult Platys alive and the female produced 6 babies a month ago and another 4 or 5 just this last weekend. The young fish all appear to be thriving. I am feeding them crumbled flake food and am concentrating on regular syphoning of the tank and topping up with fresh water about every other day.

I would like to progress to a larger tank and more challenging fish but want to take my time to learn as much as I can first, but am a bit concerned that my little fish are going to outgrow their tank pretty quickly!

I don't have a big budget so do want to spend wisely before I make any major purchases. Thanks for reading my post - I look forward to learning lots from you guys!

Blessings, Linda :)

Welcome,

I hope you find what you are looking for.

You could start by looking on the net at different set up s and finding out what type of fish you like vs. what are available in your area?

Or you could contact your local club and have a talk to them

Navarre

Hello Linda, welcome to the forums. I hope you realise we will all take great pleasure in your tanks because we all want more but have run out of space! :lol:

Therefore our suggestions will all be based on what we can imagine in the corner of our living room rather than what would be best in the corner of your room.

With that in mind, I will say: Get a big tank, plant lots of lush plants and stock it with a peaceful, colourful freshwater community. Oh and let me plan it and choose your fish! All you have to do is pay for it, house it and maintain it!

:bounce:

Hey thanks everyone. I do appreciate your willingness to help ... and sense of humour! Great. :lol:

My present tank is just 40cm in length 25cm height and about 24cm depth. Not sure how many litres it holds. Male fish is bright yellow & orange with black markings - he's about 3cm long. The female is a bit smaller and is a very pretty blue with black fins. She still has dark patch at base of abdomen - not sure whether this means more babies in there - I guess time will tell. In the meantime her two broods are growing well!

I like the idea of a large community tank. Thinking it might have to be taller rather than longer to fit the space in our living room, you know, more of an upright tank. How would platys do in this type I wonder? I'd like to mix some other sorts of fish in as well.

I will borrow my daughter's camera and post photos when I get it going. Very happy to share the joy. :wink:

Your tanks a 24ltr (It doesn't matter but I just thought I'd tell you :lol: ). Platys are a great little hardy fish that adds colour to your tank (my idea of a great fish). If you set up a bigger tank I'd put some more platys a school of neons, some corys, a BN or two and what ever else takes your fancy. Can't wait to see some photos.

Hi Linda, bigger is always better when it comes to aquariums. The larger ones are easier to keep stable, require less maintenance and you can play with the landscaping a lot more.

Keep an eye out in garage sales, Trade and Exchange, Buy, Sell and Exchange plus auctions. Plenty of bargains to be had.

It is cheaper to get a tank from a glazier than to buy from a lfs.

Hi & welcome!

Well, as you probably already know...fish keeping is GREAT!

Oh, I noticed nobody warned you about MTS :lol: :lol: Beware because there is no cure.

My first tank was a 10 gallon. I thought I as doing the right thing by starting small...nope. But then it does come down to a few things when you consider size of tank...like money! Where do I put the tank! and so on and so on :-?

Anyway, enjoy.

Take care & have fun,

Caper

ssshhh caper... you're not meant to mention MTS*.... Linda might try to run away before she gets it and we would be left without our latest victim!

* Don't worry Linda, MTS just means Multiple Tank Syndrome... It's contagious (you get it by looking in fish shops & at other people's tanks. It is also particularly dangerous to read any book by Takashi Amano). Oh and it's incurable. But never mind. :P