Puzzled by the constant source of excreta

yh88

Hi all,

I have yet to find the source of a the particular type of excreta which is small (about 2-3mm long and 1 mm diameter) and looks cylindrical in shape and when sucked out into a pail looks black although in the aquarium lights they look brown-red.

My fish population are :- 1 bristlenose (this fish s excreta is long and thin), 1 Cory (1 died), 2 otocinclus (?? common name slippery little suckers - common catfish- the energetic type), 10 rummy nose, 7 cardinal tetras, 2 neon tetras, 6 glolites. Except for the bristlenose

I have yet to see the other fish giving out the excreta mentioned - the output appears greater than the input - food that I feed them with.

Appreciate ur comments. :bow:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. My bristlenose is only about 5 cm long. It certainly is growing very fast though. When I bought it from the lfs it was about 2 cm long - that s about 3 mths ago.

I can see the poo that this fish 'carries' along with it - it is thin and sometimes thecolour is yellowish-white, but it doesnt look like the poo that I mentioned.

What type of poo do the other fish give out - still havent seen any from those fish that I mentioned. Not even the 2 octocinclus which are about 3 cm.

Btw forgot to mention that my tank is bare bottomed. :bow:

No I don't have snails. There were a few which were inadvertently brought in as a result of my my planting the elodea (water plants) sourced from my above-ground 'pond' into my aquarium. But I have since got rid of them. They are pretty small - too small and few to account for the poo :bow: