My first time over Arthur's Pass (+pics)

So I went over Arthur's Pass for the first time. It is only a 267km trip to Christchurch. Because of all the snow it took 5 hours to drive there. We had to crack out the chains. First time for that too. We stopped and had pies at Springfield on the other side when we finally got there.

Then Christchurch had a big wind chill and was raining so felt less than pleasant.

Went to Organism. They are the most helpful people!

The snow was sensational. Loads of cars were abandoned and off the side.

Today it had mostly cleared, but there were black ice patches and a couple of livestock trucks had slid into the ditches.

There were loads of kids playing in the ice and on the frozen lakes.

The Kea are so much fun to play with at Arthurs pass. One snapped off a radio aerial from a van while I was watching.

Looking west from Arthur's Pass

IMG_1284a.jpg

Sheeps in the snow

IMG_1287a.jpg

Castle Rocks

IMG_1290a.jpg

At the top of the first hill on the way home

IMG_1303a.jpg

Frozen lake

IMG_1304a.jpg

Kea at the Pass

IMG_1315a.jpg

IMG_1317a.jpg

IMG_1324a.jpg

nice country, been years since i have been through there

we got snowed in overnight on the side of the road with a livestock truck

i slept with the camels and the boss slept in the cab of the truck

woke up in the morning warm but smelly

the boss fell asleep with his face on the side window

the skin on his nose stuck to the glass of the window lol

ripped off when he woke up :lol: :lol:

Anyway what are sheeps?

Sheeps are the stupid looking 4 legged things in the paddock. IMO They are not valid creatures until they are covered in rosemary and garlic and roasted slowly, or sliced in a thick rich curry LMAO

The road was 95% clear now today with no more snow predicted. Should be fine up until Friday then showers. We saw all the Sheffield Pie signs. Next time. We have to stop at the historic Jackson's Pub too.

Navarre it was a real flying visit. You know how it goes: there were four in the car and the little one said "shut up I am driving....." ROFL. We were dropping my sister at the airport and catching up with friends. Then we had to come back to get some other stuff done. So didn't get much free time. Have to be next visit. I would love to come over for a TT meeting one Saturday.

My new fish have settled right into the tank by themselves. One of them is not swimming much though. I will keep a very close eye on it.

Yeah it was pretty awesome. Here are a couple more.

IMG_1281a.jpg

IMG_1285a.jpg

IMG_1307a.jpg

The Kea were eating snow. I thought they were hunting for food, but no, they were eating the snow.

IMG_1319a.jpg

You've got some gorgeous photos! Still remember catching the train from through Arthur's Pass with school when I was young (I was brought up in Christchurch) and being amazed at how beautiful it was. :)

And Kea are so cool! Annoying, but awesome :lol: