JEWEL FRY! YAY!!!!!!!!!

BlueMoon

I baught a lovely breeding pair of Jewel Cichlid from Fish and Chips on here.

I was getting rather dissapointed as I got them a week ago and they had not once come out of hiding......

So today I decided to shine a torch into the cave to see what was going on!

A nice deep hole FULL of wrigglers that are bouncing about, and at least 200 if not more! Dad has been kicked out and is residing under a large peice of driftwood(either on watch or is out looking for a snack) and mom is tending to the babies!

Super exciting as I absolutly LOVE these cichlid, they are beautiful!!

They are not very easy to offload.Good luck. I could not even give mine away.

our local petstore will buy them for around 10-15 each :)

Another petshop here sells them for 30 each, 3 babies from my parents were sold there and they were all gone (the first 2 were gone on the 2nd day, and the last one sat for about a week.

our local petstore will buy them for around 10-15 each

Another petshop here sells them for 30 each, 3 babies from my parents were sold there and they were all gone (the first 2 were gone on the 2nd day, and the last one sat for about a week.

Heck... where my hubby works sells.. they sell for around $15 each (stock from wholesalers) and they aren't exactly fast out the door... :lol:

They must be popular down your way 8) Very nice fish, but they can be a right royal pain in the butt :lol:

they are now trying to swim out of the nest but mom and dad are grabbing them and spitting them back :)

They are in a big 160L tank with a canister filter(I was not planning to breed them in there!!!!

Should I just stick some filter wool type stuff over the inlet pipes to stop them getting sucked up? or should I just leave it......

Oh hmm they may well get sucked up once they are on the move, you could always remove the fry from the main tank once they are on the move.... that is the problem when fish breed in a tank with strong filtration that can suck them in, most of our breeders are in tanks with sponge filter systems... You will find some survive ok, but it is a case of who goes near the filter intake... You could put a fine mesh or wool around the intake, however, some may still get sucked against it if there is a strong suction.... and alot of crud and waste in the tank will end up against the wool too, so you would have to do a decent change over :D Luck of the drawer in a tank with that sort of filtration unfortunately...

bugger, so should I move them without the parents?

I have some 50 X 30 X 30 breeding tanks with a sponge filter I could use?

I feel rather bad taking them from their parents though.....

Mayb I will leave this lot for now and put the parents in a breeding tank to spawn again at a later date.

It is up to you :D If the survival of them is crucial I would remove them, however, if you are happy to breed some later down the track with more of a sponge filter set up then that would be a way better option, no doubt rather a few will survive in your main tank however... that canister may just suck a few up.. guess it depends what is more horrible, parents losing their babes to a safe place or having the survival of the fittest out look on whether babes stay away from intake or not :D :lol:

Yeap it all depends... :D When our Red Jewels spawned... once they were at the stage of travelling around and the parents gave the fry a big more free rein, they were all over the tank.... it is when they venture off, that can be the problem.

Blue Moon, are the jewels in the tank with other tank mates? Why I ask is, what I have noticed alot in the past... that if the species is in a tank on their own... the parents are at times alot more at ease and laid back and not having to worry or watch over the fry as much when it is time to venture, yet usually when it is a shared tank the parents are alot more alert and on guard and round the brood up alot more.

hiya, they are on ther own as these are the only cichlid I have(besides a pair of Blue rams) and they would never stand a chance with these guys though :)

I will remove the babies if I see them venturing off to much.

Do you think the parents would eat the fry if I moved the parents with them?

I have shifted parents and babes before, desperate measures, and parents have been fine, I guess it depends on the parents, however, if the change is instant and not drawn out then they should be fine... once again tho, depends on the pair 8)

yeah not really parents eating the fry that you have to worry about with Jewels, just if mum and dad dont feel like they are "protecting" their babies, they may attack each other, so the two tanks you have if you can put them hard up against eachother so that they can see the old tank mates and still think that they are protecting the babies then they should be ok,

hope that makes sens :roll: e

yeah not really parents eating the fry that you have to worry about with Jewels, just if mum and dad dont feel like they are "protecting" their babies, they may attack each other, so the two tanks you have if you can put them hard up against eachother so that they can see the old tank mates and still think that they are protecting the babies then they should be ok,

hope that makes sens :roll: e

well, they don't have any tank mates?

I will just leave them be for now I think. :)

• 3 months later...

What are jewels tendencies to caring for their fry?

i have a breeding pair in a 2 foot tank and this is their second spawn and within 2 days of free swimming all fry are eaten, im not really too bothered that they are eaten but im just curious weather im doing something wrong or not.

there is only the jewels in the tank.

cheers

I think it depends on each individual pair, some species are known to be great parents, however, there is always exception to the rule. Our pair were excellent parents, and they are a cichlid that is known to be good parents and look after their fry well, but you could have one out of your pair that doesn't mind snacking down on it's brood by the sounds, or could well be both.