Can you have Leafy Sea Dragons as pets?

It always helps to have one to put it in :lol: :lol: . One day I'll set a tank up for seahorses (just not while I'm living with the parents as I've got too many tanks for their liking already :roll: :lol: )

i have caught sea dragons (off separation point , the sounds, and in tasman bay) while commercially dredging they are pretty few and far in between apparently there are quite a few around fiordland im not too sure if these are the same 1s u are talking about tho

I played with one whilst snorkeling at Mathiesons Bay,Leigh many years ago. Same colour as the kelp. Looked like a stumpy seahorse with long and broad kelp fronds growing out of it! Larger than common seahorse though. Really cool!!

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, someone in Hong Kong has been breeding leafies and weedies & exporting them to the UK... gotta have a big tank & chiller though! ;)

I played with one whilst snorkeling at Mathiesons Bay,Leigh many years ago. Same colour as the kelp. Looked like a stumpy seahorse with long and broad kelp fronds growing out of it! Larger than common seahorse though. Really cool!!

Yay Ant!!!! I am so glad to hear I am not the only person to have seen one here. I don't think anyone believed me and wastold they only exist in Oz & I was even starting to doubt myself, LOL "was it just a dream?" ...What I saw I would compare to a Weedy Seadragon, not a LeafySD...

Does any one know what the young look like?

I remember as a kid, me and my cousin found a little thing that looked just like a piece of seaweed about 5cm long that was actually a fish or something lol

We though it was pretty cool but just watched it for a while and walked off, when we got home and told our parents they though we were nuts and I never found out what it was

Does any one know what the young look like?

I remember as a kid, me and my cousin found a little thing that looked just like a piece of seaweed about 5cm long that was actually a fish or something lol

We though it was pretty cool but just watched it for a while and walked off, when we got home and told our parents they though we were nuts and I never found out what it was

Wow, that is so cool! yayayyay :bounce: another confirmation It was Not just a dream :D

so is it illegal to collect a species of animal that is not described in NZ? Wished I lived further north, going on a sea dragon hunt sounds like fun

It might not be illegal, but how about immoral?! It would very challenging for the average hobbiest to keep a wild seadragon alive; I personally think it would be terrible to cause the death of such a special creature, especially since their numbers must be so low... Heck, They don't even exist here, right :wink::o:D

I 'm not too worried.. I doubt you'd find one anyway.

I spend an awful lot of time in the water and only had the 1 glimpse... I seem to be lucky that way... spotted wild Kiwi many times... (the feathered ones, not the party animal variety wild kiwi)

IMO keeping a sea dragon in a tank would be as immoral as keeping seahorses in a tank, all relative to the size of the tank and being able to supply live food for them til they can be adjusted to frozen food

have had them before, not the leafy ones but the bigger one that trawlers bring up sometimes

there are maybe more around than have been recorded as they are so hard to find with their camouflage

maybe the little thing you found was a weedfish there are several species found in coastal water, young sea dragons look the same as adults just with smaller appendages

Awe heck, I never word things quite right.... :oops: don't take it so personally LA :)

My comments were really geared toward the inexperienced unequipped hobbiest, ya know??? So many people just "grab" things... seee something; ooooh cool, pretty... let's take it home.... and it dies shortly afterwards because of no study or preparation. I just think that is a waste. Sure, hobbiests & studied experts all have losses, but I think a person should do their best to give the animal a fair chance. Of course, if one has adequate tank size and can meet feeding requirements I agree it is no different than seahorses! :)

That is just my humble opinion.

I have had SH's only a small number of years and they were captive bred. I doubt I'd ever have the confidence or could make the effort to try keeping/training wild ones (never mind the legality!)