Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Smaller african cichlids

Featured Replies

Hey

Anyone know of peaceful african cichlids of the smaller size (10cm or less) other than kribs that are available in NZ. Or are all african cichlids not for the community tank?

thanks

I dont understand your post it sounds like your asking for small unagressive cichlids and larger agressive ones. so pretty much any kind of cichlid ?

Hey Logan, have you ever kept jewels?

I've recently invested in two pair.

Set them up in a divded tank,partion moved,

result,lost 25% of my jewels, and it's mate badly damaged.

Now recovered.

Not really what I'd call a friendly fish.

Alan

really ? the only jewels ive ever seen and read about have been timid. But ive never kept them myslef so i guess i dont really know for sure.

  • Author

Hey

The tank is 45cm x 45cm x 170cm and holds 288 litres. The water will be normal tap water and tanks mates will be dwarf cichlids, rams, blue rams , golden rams and probably some killifish are compatable with the water conditions.

  • Author

Rams are South american cichlids are they not? I'm looking for african cichlids as I havnt seen many around except mainly kribs.

  • 2 weeks later...

Do yous have Altolamprologus either compressiceps or calvus,

or what about Julidochromis.

There are some Shell dwellers too like Neolamprologus ocellatus,

Neolamprologus have alot of species, lelupi, brichardi.....though like any cichlid if a pair bond occurs, they will want a territory.

Frenchy

There are some Altolamprologus compressiceps around, however they are not cheap - $30 ea would be a bargin price (I have seen some yello head ones for around $60 each).

Julidochromis are around more commonly and should be cheaper.

Quite a few shops seem to have brichardi, but I have never seen or heard of anyone having shell dwellers in NZ before.

Besides possible aggression problems this mix is not a good idea in terms of water chemistry either. Rams would prefer a neutral to acidic pH, while most africans should ideally be kept in alkaline conditions to be at their best.

In my opinion if you want africans it might be better if you setup a different tank (less issues and not as many comprimises required that way).

As far as I can tell there are no shelldwellers in NZ. Definitely not Neolamp Ocellatus. Man I'd kill for a bunch of them..Well, maybe not kill, but definitely maim someone for them.

The price retail here on A.compressiceps here are about $30, Gold heads can be picked up for $35.. there are about 10 species/variants of Altos here ranging in price up to about $120 each.

I think $30 is a good price, try to raise fry. :-? Takes 6 months to grow the babies up to 3cm.

Cool fish the way they hunt pray. I feed guppy babies to mine.

Frenchy

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.