PETROL/DIESEL.PRICES

goldfish

Live closer to work... thats an idea....

OK Food Town i'm moving in!!! Where do you want my bed???

hahah my old work had a shower there...was good after biking to work (zero fuel but every metre i dreamt of my libero and the sound system) could shower before starting the day... and kitchen with free milk and coffee etc.. hrmm and oven... hrmmmmmm... never be late as when the work nerds come in (voluntarily) at 7am they'd wake me up so i could doze for a few hours then get up

Caryl I think you'll find that the tax take has increase at more than the CPC for the term of this government. The problem with the RUC going up is that they will effect us all when there is no money left to pay so some thing has to be cut back and a lot of people cut back on heat and food. The problem with this current government is that they haven’t had to work in the real world; Helen has been on a benefit her whole life she hasn’t had to make a profit. The place I work for would like to put there prices up but if we did this our customers wouldn’t be in business so we would lose so we have to find ways of doing things better. The government on the other hand doesn’t understand this and will just take more from us.

Back to petrol price’s, supply is running out and there is no new oil only oil that is worth taking due to the high prices paid. To under stand the current situation goggle peak oil or there’s a DVD called crude awaking that is worth watching. Opec will continue to tell every one that they have heaps but they don’t want to have their customer finding other things to use instead of oil. Sure does put a bight light on my Bush went into Iraq.

The problem with the RUC going up is that they will effect us all when there is no money left to pay so some thing has to be cut back and a lot of people cut back on heat and food. The problem with this current government is that they haven’t had to work in the real world; Helen has been on a benefit her whole life she hasn’t had to make a profit. The place I work for would like to put there prices up but if we did this our customers wouldn’t be in business so we would lose so we have to find ways of doing things better. The government on the other hand doesn’t understand this and will just take more from us.

My sentiments exactly. Career politician vs. businessman who's proved himself and made it in the real world. I know who I'd rather have running the country...

Wow, what make's that? lol @ "aerodynamics of a brick". I'd really like a double-cab with a decent length flatdeck so potentially we could take all 3 dogs and actually go on holiday some time in the next 10 years but then I do live in Wellington, god knows how I'd park it :lol:

Nissan, I live in Wellington to, my partner had a carrolla and wouldn't drive the ute "cause it was so big", she was low on gas one day so had to drive it. We sold her car a couple of weeks later.

has anyone noticed that the "biofuel" alternative offered at Gull stations is not only more expensive than normal petrol, but the prices go up with the price of petrol?

Also the fuel that arrives in NZ takes how long to be shipped over here, therefore brought at cheaper prices, yet fuels prices go up over night with the american trend. No wonder petrol companies are having record profits for the last year or so.

The petrol they're selling now might have been cheaper, but what they're buying now to replace it with is at the higher cost. Its standard business practice. At my work when the courier company puts up its fuel surcharge to increase the cost of courier tickets we don't do a stocktake of what tickets we had bought at the old price and charge them out accordingly, it would be impossible to keep track of.

Also, I'm skeptical of just how 'green' ethanol really is. What does the tractor that ploughs the field, sows the seeds and harvests the grain run on? And the big trains that take the grain to the processing plants, then the ethanol to where-ever its going?

Also, I'm skeptical of just how 'green' ethanol really is. What does the tractor that ploughs the field, sows the seeds and harvests the grain run on? And the big trains that take the grain to the processing plants, then the ethanol to where-ever its going?

It isn't particularly, yet. But at the moment it's like complaining that your newly hired employee is absolutely useless at his job and you've only just shown him where his desk is... I think now it's more important to be starting producing and using alternative fuels rather than if specific ones are really particularly viable. Once they get to be more of a gimmick the non viable ones will disappear.

Yeah, the only good thing about it is that its coming from a renewable resource (although not so good for the price of food!), I just hate people who get on their high horse and think they're saving the planet by using ethanol. [not anyone in this thread btw!]

Also, I'm skeptical of just how 'green' ethanol really is.

The only ethanol that will be so called "green" will be produced in the country that users it. Say in NZ from wood waste etc. I don't trust the other sources, as they will just be cutting down native forest and killing rivers in Indonesia and Brazil to produce it. Really just some thing people are sucked into using as they think they are doing some thing good for the planet.

The ethanol used by Gull in their ethanol blend is from Fonterra. Most of it goes to the alcopop industry, in NZ and overseas, and Gull take whats left.

Haven't read the whole thread, but ethanol blends at 10% are generally fine to use (any more will dissolve the fuel lines and injector seals in most older cars), but biodiesel blends (either from vegetable oils or animal fats like tallow) are definitely no good in winter in NZ because they are too waxy and the diesel and vegetable/animal fats separate with the cold, forming a layer in the underground tank at the service station.

E10 blends (ie 10% ethanol, 90% petrol) can have performance benefits because the ethanol acts as an anti-knock agent, effecively increasing the octane rating of the fuel. I guess thats why they're little more expensive.

another question to the wise then:

If all the petrol companies are going on about how good their fuel is with its additives etc, how come they cost the same at the pump? one would think that it should be a bit more competitive?

I suppose thats the same as the government selling the power companies etc a while back to " encourage competition and lower prices" seems to have done the opposite, just my opinion.

Petrol is petrol. Different companies are selling fuel made at the same refinery, delivered on the same boat, through the same pipeline. Additivies are basically Naptha and kerosene, and are little more than a detergent.

As far as the per-barrel price, the price of fuel is based on the price of refined fuel ex singapore, so it's not directly indexed to the price of crusde, no matter what one news says. As to why it goes up as soon as the price of crude rises, not sure on that one :-) the commerce commission enquiry in progress at the moment will shed some light I'm sure.

funny they dont go rushing to bring the price down when the price per barrel comes down.

But when it comes down to it, are we all going to stop using petrol? No. Its more of a necessity now, so people will pay what they have to.

Had a very small unselfish laugh at the news the other night when I heard the headlines of an increase in people driving away without paying. When everything is going up except our wages, what do they expect?

I know how hard it is in my situation and I realise there is heaps out there worse off than me. I am amazed there hasn't been fuel tankers high-jacked yet, or is that they next step? :-?