Anyone Ever Been Riped Off On T.M?

dannybanks

Yeah I notice the extra 25c fee now in general auctions... if you set the start price lower than your set reserve you are now going to be stung a 25cent charge.... :-? This starts from the 1st July this year.

I find TM has got majorly greedy since it was sold, costs creeping in here and there.. :-?

Also an Australian company that bought it, clearly not familiar with the NZ economy, and likely comparing prices to what is paid in Aus.

I used to setup auctions and just tick all the features, but don't do that now. You will find a lot less cheap cars on there too becuase the cheapest you can sell a car for is $50, which is paid before you sell the car, not as a comission.

Yeah I notice the extra 25c fee now in general auctions... if you set the start price lower than your set reserve you are now going to be stung a 25cent charge.... :-? This starts from the 1st July this year.

Brilliant idea. I hate auctions that start below the reserve, whats the point really, all it does is attract tyre-kickers who want to bid but not buy. If they removed the warning that lets you know you're within 15% of the reserve then there could be an advantage to starting it below the reserve, but not the way it is now.

Apparently it is put in place to encourage people to start at reserve so people see if they have a chance of being able to purchase what is on offer or something.... yes it is good in that sense as I must say I don't like timewasters or dreamers lurking around auctions or asking what the reserve is etc...

But TM does try and rustle up extra fees every possible way now :roll: :lol:

Brilliant idea. I hate auctions that start below the reserve, whats the point really, all it does is attract tyre-kickers who want to bid but not buy. If they removed the warning that lets you know you're within 15% of the reserve then there could be an advantage to starting it below the reserve, but not the way it is now.

I do love using that option though when someone is selling something I think will never sell on Trade Me. Someone was selling an antique French hutch dresser for $50,000 Buy Now and the start price (but not the reserve) was $45,000. So I placed a bid of $45,000. Just to be cheeky and pretty dumb really but it's how I get my kicks!

good news i took up the issue with trade me then talked to a trademe investagator and they talked to him and today i got my money back witch is brilliant it probly did help that i "informed" him that my brother was a cop and after that he started emailing me alot more ;) and as for your question barrie the reason i wanted a 300$ phone was that i wanted a new phone and mp3 and i thought instead of buying two seperate thing whynot get them conbined! well anyway thanks for the help much appriciated :)

Banks'

good news i took up the issue with trade me then talked to a trademe investagator and they talked to him and today i got my money back witch is brilliant it probly did help that i "informed" him that my brother was a cop and after that he started emailing me alot more ;) and as for your question barrie the reason i wanted a 300$ phone was that i wanted a new phone and mp3 and i thought instead of buying two seperate thing whynot get them conbined! well anyway thanks for the help much appriciated :)

Banks'

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay that's fantastic! I bet you're relieved!

Did they give you a fixed price offer TTK? :lol:

Yeah but it was $47500. I declined it. I would have gone to $47000 but you've gotta set limits otherwise spending on french antiques can just get outta hand. :lol:

I agree, high reserves are annoying.

Just don't like the fact they're taking the opportunity to put more money on to it, like everything else on the site. I think a lot of good second hand stuff will start disappearing from trademe. It'll end up like Ferrit but with auctions.

I agree, high reserves are annoying.

Just don't like the fact they're taking the opportunity to put more money on to it, like everything else on the site. I think a lot of good second hand stuff will start disappearing from trademe. It'll end up like Ferrit but with auctions.

Yeah what with the fees and the postal rate hike, TM is getting less and less attractive.

I suggest you start relooking at Trade & Exchange

A guy I know buys Stuff at the warehouse and sells on TM... thats his full time job

Yeah there are some real bargains to be had with the T&E. I bought a baby buggy last year from T&E for $45, sold it a week later (it didn't fit in my boot) on TM for $110.