June 18, 200818 yr comment_244185 Hi All, Does anyone know where I can obtain Foam Rubber suitable for internal filter? In advance, thank you. Cheers, EJ Report
June 18, 200818 yr comment_244213 Do you mean the black sponge pads? I dont think most rubber would be aquarium safe. Report
June 18, 200818 yr comment_244264 As far as I know the sponges are a type of plastic, not rubber. Report
June 18, 200818 yr Author comment_244275 It may be plastic? But the materials is for small internal filters to be driven by air. I am after sheets of the materials say 75mm or 100mm thick, then to be cut for squares 75mm X 75mm with a hole in the middle for the air tube. Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244332 It may be plastic? But the materials is for small internal filters to be driven by air. I am after sheets of the materials say 75mm or 100mm thick, then to be cut for squares 75mm X 75mm with a hole in the middle for the air tube. Are you looking for the standard white filter floss? By that I mean the stuff that looks a bit like cotton-wool. In which case you can get it from a pet store. Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244340 I think (by the sound of it) he's wanting to make home made sponge filters. If this is the case, you can buy the sponge foam in sheets from any decent pet store (Animates etc). Sorry I don't know of a cheap place. Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244344 Try para rubber if you have one near. some garden centers (and bunnings etc) sell the blocks but they are a stupid price (as are the LFS), $40-$50 a block from memory. I'd check out payless plastic's too they might sell something. Good luck and if you find a good cheap option post the details cause I've had half hearted looks before with out much luck. Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244349 ej go to the Warehouse, you can buy children's mattresses cheap. Thats what I use. Like this? Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244351 Try a upholstery workshop They should give you free offcuts if your nice Report
June 19, 200818 yr Author comment_244385 Thank you Stuart, I will have a look at the Warehouse for the materials. Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244390 I don't think the close cell sponge from the mattress work. You have to get the open cell sponge. ron Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244400 If your after sponge filters heres a couple of good examples: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/my-diy ... t5529.html http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/compac ... t8588.html Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244405 Yes Ron they do work, I have made my own sponge filters for years - and others before me. ej this is what the tube looks like inside, not that tidy but effective. Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244411 johnny, shiuh's idea for sponge filters is a good one and may be better for ej's purpose, although I would glue the sponge to the glass rather then pin and rubber bands. The sponge filter I make has a greater filtering ability > for larger tanks then ej's needs. Report
June 19, 200818 yr comment_244533 I get my foam from Pararubber, just around the corner from HFF in Mt Roskill. They have the full selection of pore sizes and sheet thicknesses. And they can cut it down for you with their huge bandsaw. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.