Just moved tank and water's all murky

Dubbo

Hi guys, I've just acquired a new tank with gravel etc in it, and the water is now completely murky from all the stuff that was in the gravel. I was told it could take up to 2 days for all the particles to fall down, and was advised not to siphon the water out, but after 12 hours it changed very little.

Does anyone know if I am suppose to turn off the filter and pump circulation to allow the fine particles to drop down faster ?

Thank you.

What sort of filtration have you got on the tank? Is it efficient enough for the size tank? You have to give the tank time to settle but as Hans said, definately do a water change in a couple of days, sounds like it may need a gravel suck.

Ok, so I will wait until weekend and if no change I will just do 25% water changes everyday ? I was told it's normal when you move an aquarium and takes time to settle.

it's a 300L tank and I got one of these eheim pro 2 external filters

I have just been through a similar thing where I just put a new load of gravel into my tank but it was to heavy for my to lift so asked my brother to do it. and asked him to rinse it all first but he didnt just put it into the tank.

And my tank was dirty for about 3 days.

I had to clean the filter everyday cause the rubbish/dust that ended up in it was tremendous and also i waited for it to settle and did a big water change 75% on the 4th day and 25% for another 3days and now its so crystal clear.

Just letting it cycle and yay get to put my fish in, in a few days it so exciting. :lol:

Ok, so I will wait until weekend and if no change I will just do 25% water changes everyday ? I was told it's normal when you move an aquarium and takes time to settle.

it's a 300L tank and I got one of these eheim pro 2 external filters

An eheim pro II should do a good job of clearing the water. I just want to clarify a few things here -

Is the tank stocked with plants and fish? Or is it just water and gravel?

Did the filter come with the tank? Do you know what media is in it and when it was last cleaned?

If the tank is just gravel and water, then you can do as much water changing and gravel vaccing as you like. If it has plants and fish, you will need to be more careful about the cycling. But if it's got that murky during the move it's likely the plants have all been uprooted and the gravel well stirred anyway, so gravel vaccing is unlikely to make much difference.

If the filter came with the setup, it may either have the wrong filter media, or the media may be incorrectly installed, or it may already be so full of gunk that you might be blowing more murk into the water through the filter.

Again, if your tank is fully stocked with fish and you choose to clean the filter, you may find that you set off a cycle. But if the filter is already all clogged up, you may be going through a cycle anyway so keep an eye on everything.

I hope that helps. If any of that doesn't make sense, please feel free to ask more questions. The kind folks here will be happy to take you through the setup process step by step and help you get everything looking great!

:D

so gravel vaccing is unlikely to make much difference.

GVing will suck up the debris which has settled and fallen out of solution. If you leave it there then it will get stirred up again either by 'scaping the tank, or by the fish which are put in it.

Isn't the whole point to get rid of the material from the gravel which is now in solution.

Using an Eheim ProII filter only has the capacity to cycle the tank water 3 times per hour which is not very much IMHO. Therefore water changes help remove a lot of the particles.

The tank is newly acquired. Water changes will not affect the cycling adversely.

I am definately all for the idea of giving the tank a gravel vac/suck... will clear away alot of that unwanted debri that has been stirred up, if there is alot of the debri that is settling on the stones... it will only get stirred up again in a matter of time, with fish movement etc later down track.. as VinsonMassif said.

unfrotunately the fishes are in there as we couldn't get all of them out when we move the tank. We already took out all the plants prior to moving as well.

Ok, I will give it a change of water tonight, and I will use plenty of stuff like cycle and stuff like locks up ammonia to help with the new process. Any other chemicals I could use to help the process ?

BTW anyone got a temporary accomodation for my tiger barbs and jewel cichlid in Tauranga while I am getting it setup ? I had to take them out of my tank cause they would kill the guppies I just got. They are now living in a chilly bin with many water changes wrapped up in blanket to keep warm.

I removed gravel in my tank to change to different gravel and the stuff was every where i put 3 filters in the tank and in a few hours most had cleared , it was so bad I could not see the other side of the tank let alone the fish. :o

GVing will suck up the debris which has settled and fallen out of solution. If you leave it there then it will get stirred up again either by 'scaping the tank, or by the fish which are put in it.

Isn't the whole point to get rid of the material from the gravel which is now in solution.

Using an Eheim ProII filter only has the capacity to cycle the tank water 3 times per hour which is not very much IMHO. Therefore water changes help remove a lot of the particles.

The tank is newly acquired. Water changes will not affect the cycling adversely.

Yeah sorry, didn't explain myself very well. I meant gravel vaccing will not disturb the tank any more than it is already disturbed - I think a gravel vac is a good idea to pick up any settled debris.

Wow, after reading throuh the instructions, my filter was actually missing the white sponge for mechanical filter... Sometimes you gotta becareful when buying new tank setups I guess, I put in some ordinary sponges in it as substitute for now and changed all of the water in the tank. It is still murky but at least I can see the fishes swimming in it. Already ordered parts so hope will get it working soon.

Aha! Excellent outcome, Dubbo!

The white layer in the eheim is the one that removes the very fine material that causes the murky look, so it should work much better now you have replaced it.

Personally I don't use the eheim-branded white filers (they are too expensive and I find I don't replace them often enough because I'm too stingy!) I just use normal white filter wool and cut it to fit.

I too am starting to find enheim expensive. I have an aquaone 620T at the moment and all I have to change is the filter wool carbon pad every 3 months and that only costs $20. I think maybe you don't even need to replace enheim ones that often, they just scare you into buying more consumables by making things sound worse than they are ?

I too am starting to find enheim expensive. I have an aquaone 620T at the moment and all I have to change is the filter wool carbon pad every 3 months and that only costs $20. I think maybe you don't even need to replace enheim ones that often, they just scare you into buying more consumables by making things sound worse than they are ?

Just a side tracked thought. From what I have read around Carbon only takes thing out of the water for up to 48 hours (maybe slightly longer) and is mostly a marketing ploy.

Have you thought of ripping the corner, removing the old carbon, rinsing the filter wool under water, and reusing it for mechanical filtration? Remember carbon starts to release the stuff it takes out of the water, after a short time. But the floss stays useful for a while after a few rinses :)

Just a thought.

The wool is actually pretty beat up by the time I have to change the thing lol. I am thinking of just keeping the tray and add carbon and wool though to save money. Do you think the stuff they say in instructions like "use authentic enheim filter pads for maximum filter performance" is just marking ploy ?