where to get RO water ?

Dubbo

Hey guys, looking into the possibility of a marine setup now, so reading up as much as I can. Now I am not sure where to get those RO filtered water everyone uses, does everyone who keep a marine tank have one of those units ? or can I buy them water from some a supplier in Tauranga ?

Thanks.

You do need to use filtered water, tap water will cause problems sooner or later. RO/DI units cost around $300-$400 you can by filtered water from supermarkets etc but if your tank is bigger than 50-100l it will soon cost more than buying the RO/DI filter.

Hey guys, looking into the possibility of a marine setup now, so reading up as much as I can. Now I am not sure where to get those RO filtered water everyone uses, does everyone who keep a marine tank have one of those units ? or can I buy them water from some a supplier in Tauranga ?

Pointless buying water as it will end up costing too much,

you get a ro unit from a drinking water supplier, try your local yellow pages.

Would it be worth buying RO water for small setups?

For sure, do it once and do it right.

water quality is very important and if you get that right you will have far less problems.

some of these small ro units will be available soon.

Nano RO station

(8515.000)

30 to 60 litres/day at 3 to 6 bar (43 to 87 PSI) and 15 deg. to 25 deg. Celsius (59 deg. to 77 deg. F).

TUNZE® Nano RO Station 8515 is a compact high-quality reverse osmosis plant employed for the easy production of pure water (RO water) , it is especially suitable for small and medium-sized marine and fresh-water aquariums. It is very easy to operate and can be connected directly to a water tap using the accessories supplied by the manufacturer.

ca8b7954b4.jpg

Would it be worth buying RO water for small setups?

You can buy pure filtered water from supermarkets, if you have a very small tank and are only topping up a few litre's per week it is cheaper to buy your water. There is nothing magical about Ro/Di water, it's just pure filter water no different to what you can buy.

The only place you can get the 10 litre bottles in HB is The Warehouse, the price varies but is around $4.70 to $5.90.

We only have a 108 litre tank, and would use 20 litres over three weeks.

If the Tunze units come out over her for under $160 Nz, it would be worth considering.

Made some calls this morning, looks like the smallest RO filter unit I can find is one that does 60L or 90L a day and will cost around $650+gst

Of course the upside is that this thing filters your home water so you can have clean drinking water too !! if you are into that sort of thing :)

300L+, looking at several second hand tanks at the moment hope can get something cheap.

Ha! Nothing is cheap when you go marine!

In fact, I think the cheapest part of my setup was the tank at $50.00.

Those water filter places over charge, when I first started look I was quoted over $1000 from one place, they aren't interested in dealing with small Job Public business. There a place in Auckland that sell them but I can't remember the name, do a search here and you should be able to find them. It's shouldn't cost you more than around $400

300L+, looking at several second hand tanks at the moment hope can get something cheap.

so i suspect buying water from supermarkets will be far to expensive,

Get a good ro/di unit and be done with it , might cost you $400-$500 ,