Hardy fish

Morpheous

Hi, as you may have read on an earlier post I just lost most of my fish ( both my heaters mysteriously unplugged themselves, and the 5 year old and 17 month old suspects in my house deny all knowledge of this LOL) and found out that that gold barbs, pakistani loaches, and silver danios can withstand a night in 8.6 degree water, and plecostamus, electric yellows, and severums cannot. LOL. As I am pretty much starting my tank again from scratch I was wondering if any one had some suggestions for some hardy easy to care for fish ? Needless to say my tank cabinet is now fitted with child proof catches. LOL. As I have a young family and work commitments the fish need to sometimes endure slightly extended periods between waterchanges. The only surviving fish in this tank are 3 x gold barbs, 1 x silver Danio, and 1 x pakistani loach. I am open to any suggestions wether it be a cichlid, or community tank etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Glen

American-Flag fish are about as hardy as bricks and can handle cooler water. They're also active and colourful and eat algae. Best of all, they are Killies!!

Bronze Cories can also take cooler water but prefer warmer.

White cloud Mountain Minnows, of course.

Danio's are pretty good and hardy.

Swordtails are hardy, can handle cooler temps and are colourful and active and breed like rabbits.

Rosy Barbs are semi-cold fish and again are nice looking and active.

Apart from WCMM, none of the above are strictly cold water fish but all should survive an unplugging or power cuts and are capable of surviving unheated for a while in an indoor aquarium.

I don't think you'd have many casualties from a tank of American-Flags, Swordtails and bronze cories should your mysterious unplugging faries visit again. It'll also be a colourful and active tank, can be planted up, which the fish will appreciate, and should produce some babies occasionally, even as a community set-up.

Good luck with your new tank!

• 3 weeks later...