Cutting glass

Dimsum

Why is cutting glass like a lottery for me?

I've seen it done a few times, but when I do it sometimes the glass snaps along the score other times it will go half way and then go off in another direction usually through the part I want.

How I do it, score glass then sorta drop on the edge. Sometimes its a good clean break most times it's a mess. What am I doing wrong?

1st step is to make one cut from one end to the other with no "misses" in the cut.

Before cutting make sure the area is clean and not cold... warming makes the cut run better as well

(How much are you trying to cut off) you will probably need at least 50 mm off cut

Dont start the cut from over the edge but start from 1 mm in from the edge but continue the cut off the edge at the finish(did that make sence?)

Dip the cutter into light machine oil and make sure the wheel is turning freely.

When the cut has been made, if the off cut is from say 50mm to 150mm put the end of the cutter under the cut and press down evenly on both sides untill the cut is complete, if the offcut is bigger than 150 either snapping over the edge of a table or over a straight edge is safer

Was trying to cut off 100mmish, it wasn't straight so one end was 100mm and the other end was 70mm

Was using the edge of my table which ran the whole length

Anyway I have a piece of glass to practice on now

if I "start from 1 mm in from the edge but continue the cut off the edge at the finish" which end do I start the run from(I've given up on the snap over the edge thing hoping the run from one end to the other end works better)?

Is the tenique the same for a big piece of glass say a cut 90cm long?

a 70 mm off cut is way too small to snap.

I have over 40 years experiance and I doupt that I could snap an offcut that small of.

You can start running the cut from either end but possibly a slight bit better from the end rather than the start

We often run cuts of say 10mm wide over the lenght of a stock sheet (2440) long

My 2 cents worth.

I used to have the same problems, no matter what I tried - all the tricks I knew of.

I only started to have lots of success when I got an oiled glass cutter similar to what the pro's use, since then I have had very few failed cuts and would NEVER again consider using any other type of cutter!.

In my company we never use them as they get damaged just as easily and the Diamantors we sell at about $4. I agree that for those that are less experianced, there may be a small advantage but we just never use them. The self oiling Toyo cutters are normally $35 from memory.

Cheap cutters are just as good so long as you oil them. The expensive ones only oil the wheel for you but will stuff up just as quick if you abuse them by cutting dirty glass or making double cuts etc. Most people dont oil the cheap ones and seize up the wheel.

call in to your local glass comp (a small one) and they will often show you if you happen to need some glass. If you dont want glass, they may not bother as the time the guy spends in showing you is costing his company

Alan is correct, the only reason that the cheaper cutters have problems is that people dont oil them, the more expensive cutters have a handle that holds oil and thats the reason they are called self oiling cutters. The quality of the cutter wheel is exactly the same. My experiance is that people dont clean them and when next they need to make a cut, the cutter is jammed up and seized but as mentioned, you pays your money......