Jewel cichlid

Olly

Can I add a jewel cichlid or two to my community tank?

It currently contains:

moonlight gourami

golden gouramis

dwarf gouramis

small angels

young blue rams

small black ghost knife

young silver sharks

bristlenose

and lots of snails but not too worried about their safety hehe

big tank so no worries about space just wondering if they would be compatible with the current occupants

You can do whatever you like,lol

On a serious note now.

Jewels are very territorial fish.

You may be ok if tank has plenty of hiding holes, but i think you will start to find dead or missing fish in your tank.

Ive just rehomed two of mine as they were destroying their tank, ripping up plants and harassing other fish.

HTH

Ummm in short answer, NO... :o not a good idea... adding a Jewel Cichlid or two would be a huge disaster... :-?

If you want to go Jewels it might pay to keep them in another tank, seperate species, they are definately not suited to a peaceful aquarium... They often can cause problems amongst other semi aggressive to aggressive cichlids alone, so can only imagine what they would do in your current tank.

HTH 8)

They were nice and calm in my community tank. But all the fish in my community tank outweighed them 10 to 1.

You didn't mention how big your tank is, must be a good size to have that many fish in it. If it's a 300L+ I'd say go for it.

its 450 (1.5m by 0.6m by 0.5m)

i dont want to risk my blue rams i have a really nice pair that keep laying eggs and eating them. if i get a successful spawn and raise the young il get some jewels cos il have back up if they eat my rams lol

Well in our tank, 300ltr, we have 6, it is a comunity tank and we have had no problems at all with our jewels, they ony get nippy when they are about to spwan, and even then they only guard the wee hidy hole that they have in our peice of wood

We have kept and bred the red jewel, they were atrocious.. they were in a 4 ft tank before we took them out to breed in their own tank, and the tank mates (not peaceful communals) were smacked up against the opposite end of the tank, too scared to move, the jewels once paired up decided to own the full tank as territory, of which is often the case, that is why they were moved ,especially when the babies are ready to travel with mum and dad will they attack anything in sight. Alot of sites on the net advise that the jewel be kept in a monospecies aquarium or with species that can pack as much punch as they can themselves. Definately not to be kept with delicate fish. I wouldn't risk it anyway.

Well in our tank, 300ltr, we have 6, it is a comunity tank and we have had no problems at all with our jewels, they ony get nippy when they are about to spwan, and even then they only guard the wee hidy hole that they have in our peice of wood

I think oyu seem to have got the best Jewels around!

i gave a friend of mine 2 jewels a couple months ago and they had their own 2 footer to themselves, they are now maybe 7cm and have just been moved into an 80 or 90l community tank. full of a few different species of tetras and angels and some blue gouramis (dont know the specie) and they are all doing fine

Temp wise no probs, ph wise rams 6.5,knifefish 6 - 6.5, jewels 7.5, :-? sizewise rams 5cm, bala shark 36cm, knifefish 60cm. How many of each do you have? I would be very concerned for your rams. Like Afrikan wrote they are very aggressive when defending their young (they are magnificent parents).

the 2 bala sharks are about 100mm long as is the ghost knife. the rams will be fine until i get my new tank set up.

any ideas what i should put in my new tank i just got? 250L. will discus be ok with blue rams? i want a planted community tank

If you want to breed rams I suggest a seperate tank and yes rams will eat guppies if they are small enough to fit into their mouth as with almost all fish will.

Definatly agree here, whilst we have had no troubles with our jewels i doubt very much that any sort of fry would be safe with them, apart from their own as our wont stop breeding!! (we probably have about 30+ in the main tank now! :o )

they keep trying to breed in my community tank. i havnt got a spare tank to put them in until my gouramis grow up. will the discus be ok in with them when they spawning? the rams are currently the same length as the discus at about 3.5-4cm

I agree with you there I plan to cut down to six once they have coloured up and I can choose my favourites. I would prefer cardinals but they way more expensive :-?

I wouldnt try to breed them in there but they spawn when they want to. If the rams decide to spawn in with the discus, will they harrass the discus much?