Cleaning Big Tanks

jimboNZ

Ive got a question for experienced keepers with large tanks.

I recently got my 260L tank and am coming up to doing my first water change/clean.

Is cleaning a larger tank any different to a smaller tank? as in siphoning the gravel etc...?

I think I need to get a longer siphon......... :o

No. Exactly the same process. Maybe only 15% more effort or time involved. I have lots of plants and loaches so I don't bother with gravel vac'ing. I spend more time cleaning the inside of the glass is all.

I have some corys in there and a reasonable amount of plants, should I be getting that little bit more wet in order to gravel vac? or could I leave it?

Wait until you have an actual big tank, not a little 260L one. :P My 440 (Which I'd consider to be on the very bottom of the scale of large, maybe even top of medium size) takes about 45 minutes and that's just draining and refilling it from the tap.

Wait until you have an actual big tank, not a little 260L one. :P My 440 (Which I'd consider to be on the very bottom of the scale of large, maybe even top of medium size) takes about 45 minutes and that's just draining and refilling it from the tap.

:o

Or you can run a hose outside and syphon it str8 on to the lawn and then plug the hose in and turn it on. my 400L takes me 15 minutes, and thats thorough.

Takes longer when snails keep getting stuck in the syphon hose. :-?

Glad to hear it didn't take so long. I only can dream of having a tank that size :( Post pics sometime!

livingart wrote:

same principle as cleaning small tank, just takes longer

Ah, takes you longer because of the extra time to put on your wet suit and snorkel :lol: :lol:

Caper