freshwater shrimp

samstylez

I have scooped a few fresh water shrimp down this way... quite a few lulling about in a local stream... when you go on a clear night with a spot light you can spot a fair few! Have you tried a local stream down your way?

am wanting them alive to live in my freshwater tanks.

wasnt too sure about the freshwater prawns but thought maybe id try my luck :)

havent ever been able to find any unfortunately when i have looked in streams. thats why i was hoping that someone else might have some that they want to pass on........

How have you looked in the streams?

By night with a torch is pretty good, they show up as reflective eyes (though so do crayfish)

Use a net downstream and kick at vegetation or move rocks, they will be carried into your net.

By day you won't see them out and about, for starters they are see-through... ;)

What are they going to be with? Various people say they can be 'adjusted' to tropical temps. In reality it will just stress them, shorten their life and be much like putting a goldfish in a tropical tank...

They are also easily crushed or eaten, but in the right conditions they are very cute little critters :)

Agree with Stella, freshwater shrimp stress in tropical climates.

Can be adjusted but wouldn't recommend it. :D

There aren't any freshwater prawns that occur naturally in NZ waters.

A thing to watch when you get them is a lot of water treatments can kill them.

All the best with the hunt I have 20 odd in my coldwater tank and they're awesome little creatures. :bounce:

• 4 weeks later...
im getting some from a trout fisherman soon apparently low tide in the weed and muck in the kaiapoi river use a large net and stir up the weed

upstream of ur net

Ah great! Any chance of getting some off you or your friend, the trout fisherman as well at the same time? Sadly, I don't have a large net and I only need perhaps 30-40 to keep as pets. Thanks spoon! :)