Chimeras Tank Build (Sump room, new tank etc)

chimera

After 4 trips to the beach collecting 200 litres at a time, I have the tank full and heated up. The immersible heater only took a couple of hours to heat the whole tank up to 25 degrees. Here's the shot of it full up (a little hazy as the water has only just gone in and the hallides are on but angled up at the back)

newtankwateradded.jpg

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed over the plumbing this morning so water flows around the new system. Have moved over some of the rocks. Found the Iwaki yet again is too small for what I need. I didnt account for the 3 x 90 degree bends in the seaswirl which seems to reduce flow out the nozzle quite considerably (anyone got an Iwaki 55RT for sale let me know!)

Here's some pic's...

4 foot refugium (old tank) rocks being moved out...

4footmovingrocks1.jpg

New tank, rocks being moved into it...

newtankmovingrocks1.jpg

New sump with skimmer and temperature controller/heaters etc moved in...

newsump1.jpg

Aquascaping will be next (once all rocks are moved in)

Cheers Alois. However, from what I read in there manual (http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/Deltec%20Turbo%20Skimmers%20(2).pdf), it should have been up to the bottom of the neck of the chamber. Must have read it wrong - and I see what you mean as the cup is just filling up with water too quick :-? I'll make the stand higher, thanks.

Cheers. Have modified the stand now so that its sitting 175mm below the water level now. The recommended height is anywhere between 120mm - 180mm. This probably explains why I needed to prime the pumps when it first started up in the past! (I bought the skimmer/sump like that in the first place)

ha haaa! the hard way? tried the hacksaw approach it doesnt work with this eggcrate as you need about 8 cuts (cross section of egg crate is close together) Your best bet (after trial and error) is not cross cutting at all. Drill 2 holes next to each other at the top of the pipe all the way through (4 holes) then cable tie upwards to the egg crate. Strong as.

thanks i get some this thursday then....

re your water, it always concerns me slighty that you get that colour when using NSW given the costs of petrol and distance from AKL to a clean source.. I am a big convert of RODI then mix......

quick question, where do you get your kalk from????

Got home late last night (after tank lights had gone out) so pic will be up tonight :-?

Designed my overflow comb today and sent it off to the laser cutters. Get the finished result either end of this or early next week. Here is the design (this pic will show up tonight when i upload it from home - either that or my ISP fixes their @#$!%$# FTP server!)

overflowcomb.gif

The perspex will be folded along the dotted lines :) I think you can work out how it fits yourself.

Im on jetstream already. It's IHUG, their FTP server is down. Typical. There "Manage my email" system from their web page is FULL of bugs too, trying to get rid of 1000+ NDR's a day by specifically aliasing only the email addresses I use for my company. AND I HATE SPAM!