Aggression issues

Simian

I am having some issues with my Texas Blue.

He used to be the bottom of the pecking order, but now he's in the 5' he's a Nazi :evil:

He bashes any fish he see's, except for the Nicaraguans, which are his girlfriends.

Its now getting to the point where he's going to do some serious damage very soon.

He's agreat looking fish and really dont want to get rid of him, any suggestions?

There are plenty of area's for territory, he just thinks he owns the tank.

I wondered about putting him in isolation for a week or so and see what happens when I put him back in.

Halp

Isolation can work.... we have been there and done that ourselves with a particular large cichlid we had who decided to step up a knotch in attitude... solitary confinement may just do the trick for your boy... however there is always the chance that when settled back in he may try the old dominance thing again..... and if so it then sounds like you need to get another tank :lol: :D You could also try changing a few things around in the tank also before you pop him back, or while he is still in there and see if that makes a difference.

Have you given the tank a big re-arrangement, might make new territories and could help.

A lot more hidey holes for all but an obvious 'prime spot cave', like a terracotta pot or rockwork cave under some wood for him. Might make him feel more secure and less nervous, and therefore less aggressive.

What else is in the tank? with the two you've mentioned I guess the others have to have enough b@lls to handle them.

Add more fish(s) of that aggression level to hopefully dissipate his influence.

Give him his own space/tank and let the rest get on in harmony.

Isolation- yes definitely worth a try but I would suspect that unless you make changes to tank dynamic while he's out he'll just start back where he left off.

isolation has worked for us

maybe it is breeding agression over his "Nicaraguan girlfriends"

Yeah I did wonder about that, maybe he wants to get jiggy with it so is getting in mating mode.

But what can you do about that? he's not really listening to me when I try and explain about the dangers of hybridism :wink:

Um, I think this is way of telling you there isn't plenty of room for territories. ;)

What are the tank mates?

Oscar 15cm, Bichir 25cm, Jeweled, convict, 2 Nicaraguans 15cm, gold sevrum 20cm In a 5'

plenty of room and filtration, just aware that they will grow

DSC02326-1.jpg

DSC02339.jpg

DSC02315.jpg

Great Tank Simian. And Agree with Tropheus about the 'Nics' .

Though when he's taliking peaceful I assume thats compared to the fish he's named himself after.

I do tend with David- while all cichlids will vary in their personality, Texans are known as highly aggressive fish.

It seems from the images, to be just one main open area, with line of sight from one end of the tank to the other unless of course, your hovering under the log in abject fear.

Never had a Texan but a big Hap would just see that as all his.

Nics are generally nice natured, but boy they can pack some punch and own a tank if they want to (generally the males are alot more aggressive than females), speaking from experience, we have kept adult Nics.. however, yeah with a Texas in there throwing his weight around, they will certainly back right off. Definately a nicely set up tank tho 8)

Yeah you guys are prob right, I will have to decide what to do with Tex. Oscar can look after him self but the smaller guys and the severum don't stand a chance, its a shame hes such a pretty fish :(

Ill try and split the tank in half with decorations and see how that works