Using Clove oil to Euthanise a fish

Freakyfish

Hey guys

I have been along term adviser on using clove oil to euthanise a fish though I hadnt actually had to do it to any large fish before

I had been taking the advice of a very well known fish Vet who I have had alot dealings with over the years but yesterday I had a customer who had a very sick Red Devil which was around 35cm long

This fish was curled constantly and couldnt hold his place in the water

Only laying on his side curled up on the bottom and then swimming around and stopping dead in the water and sinking like a stone

As I dont like to sell meds to customers who have no chance of the fish surviving as one its a waste of money and 2 its only causing the fish more pain or discomfort

I advised him to use the clove oil method as the most Humane but seeing he had this fish for around 6 years he couldnt bring himself to do it and asked If I could do it for him

I could totally understand his situation having lost my large Devil some months ago

I placed him in the largest bucket I had which half full held nearly 15 litres

I added a small mixture of water and clove oil which I used 3 drops to each litre

This has been shaken up as oil and water dont like to mix

Once add to the bucket the fish literally slowed down straight away and I could see him slowly going to sleep

After 15 mins in the bucket the rate of respiration was down to every 5 secs or so which it what I had expected

After 30 mins I had observed no gill activity at all and I placed him into a bag and into the freezer confidant the fish was dead and he had felt no pain

For people with large fish and you want a simple end for your fish this by far is the easiest way

Brad

Thanks for sharing that Brad 8) Its good to have feedback from someone who has actually experienced it, with keeping large fish here its definately the way I would go about things if I had to put one down, so after reading that, it sits a bit better with me using that method. I have a huge old plec who is showing signs of going down hill, may have to use the clove method on him in the near future.

Hey Conch

That can be easier said then done when dealing with a large fish who isnt happy about being pulled out of the water and placed onto a chopping block

Plus U have to deal with the mess afterwards

What if you miss alittle and only take off the nose or worse only cut alittle way through when you hit the skull

Ive spent years in an abbatoir so I know my way round a knife but this is alot easier and easier to deal with especially with younger members

Brad

Yea, for younger or more squeamish members the oil is probably safer and easier, but I still think wacking the head off is fastest / most humane if you are able to do it.

I with you on that one. Iv done it a few times.

Id rather(myself) die in a instant than slow down and be frozen

Hans maybe you have misread the post

The slowing down in where the body loses consciousness

Have you ever seen someone have an operation

Going to sleep is very very quick and very painfree

I think id rather die in my sleep then have someone cut my head off

Brad

Thanks for the feedback on clove oil, Brad. I have only ever used it on very little fish, and I'm glad I have never had to put a bigger fish to sleep. It is very reassuring to hear of your first hand experience.

Conch, I agree that cutting the fish's head off is a relatively quick way to kill a fish and I would endorse it as another way to do the job. I have also used that method (again, on little fish only) and have found it very upsetting for me when I have been very attached to my little pet :(

I think that knowing the clove oil method is effective and relatively easy on the owner (and on the fish, from what we can tell) means that people might be more likely to euthanase a fish when the time comes rather than leaving it to suffer for any longer than it needs to.

It all depends on why you are slowing down - paralysis isn't necessarily the same as a lack of conciousness. The jury is still out, but research suggests that some things used to kill humans in America in the recent past may actually be very painful, not that you'd know it by the way they lie on the table motionless. On the other hand, it is known from beheadings that people can remain concious for up to 20 seconds despite their head parting company with their body. When all is said and done, death 'aint pretty, but sometimes it is the right thing to do (I'm talking about fish now).

Clove oil has been used on humans for anesthetic b4 and with the correct dose you ill wake up will no ill effects

I agree with some types though people have been known to just become paralyzed not unconscious though you will know also this is extremely rare so I doubt it is going to be common with fish either

Brad

I think id rather die in my sleep then have someone cut my head off

Me too! I very much doubt that cutting off the head is instant, the brain would retain some function for long enough to feel some pain I'd imagine.

Here's an interesting article on the subject; http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatmen ... in-the-sky

I've lost count of the number of times I've posted it here! Its good to hear the clove oil works well on large fish, where do you get it from?

cleaver souns fine to me

quck and painless

but clove oil seems more humane for some reason

but scientificaly, cutting off the spine would instantly kill the fish

sad story thoug

putting down a large fish

thats gotta be upsetting!

Clove oil is great to numb the pain.

Was given some at local A&E when i had a bad infection in my wisdom teeth. BUT it dont taste good.

The numbing effect of it is almost instantaneous. so id imagine for a fish it would be pretty effective if not yucky tasting. :o

For a less-traumatic instant-kill I put the fish in a thin plastic bag (like the really thin produce bags) and whack it really hard onto a hard surface (table etc).

Usually I whack it several times, far more than would be required to kill it, just to be sure.

Tis fast and very clean and tidy - you just dispose of the fish, bag and all. You have to see the corpse...

The only issue I have with it is throwing away a perfectly recyclable plastic bag... :-?

(BTW as a dental assistant be careful with clove oil. I know it is often recommended, but I have seen a really bad chemical burn from it. Maybe it was low-quality? I don't know. But it was hard to tell if she was in more pain from the tooth or the burn. And NEVER put an aspirin against the tooth, not only does it cause a chemical burn, but it doesn't do a thing: aspirin works systemically not topically!)

yes, in theory you can say beheadings leaves the head alive for 20 seconds

but has anyone actually put it into practise and lived to tell the tale?

scientists say things out of theory all the time

global warming, smoking is bad for you, fatty foods causes heart disease..... meh! ALL CONJECTURE 8) lol

i kid i kid!!!

yes, in theory you can say beheadings leaves the head alive for 20 seconds

but has anyone actually put it into practise and lived to tell the tale?

scientists say things out of theory all the time

global warming, smoking is bad for you, fatty foods causes heart disease..... meh! ALL CONJECTURE 8) lol

i kid i kid!!!

Apparently it was confirmed during the middle ages. Executioners would offer selected family members the 'opportunity' to keep blinking their eyes after their head was chopped off in exchange for killing their loved ones quickly, rather than them being drawn and quartered. They also used to do live disections on prisoners. Now that was cutting edge medicine!

I would have thought a loss of blood pressure would cause a lack of conciousness, but I guess without your heart pumping a clean cut might keep your head sealed up for a few seconds.