How well do plants grow in Sand?

Steveo

i have read that sand can compact after a while and doesn't allow water circulation to the roots, i suppose if u disturbed it every now and then it would work quite well. i'd recommend 2mm gravel instead of it though.

i use a coarse sand

and lots of coffee to keep the shrimp awake :D

Where do you get the sand from? Someone mentioned some from Oderings, I got it home washed it out, setup the tank and added some sterbai that were fully grown, woke up in the morning and boom all dead gutted! tested the ph was a little high but nothing major. Can anyone help? with where to get it and how to wash it? I love te effect it has

I have one heavely planted tank with a heatpad under the tank and 3 without and don't have problems going anaerobic with any of them and I don't stir the media up because I put micronutrient under it and JBL fert balls under big root feeders. I think this anaerobic sand thing is an urban myth invented by people selling heater pads and gravel.

when i was into plants all i used was sand in the end and with great results, daltons propagating sand which you find at bunnings mitre 10 or all farms cheap to, bout 6-8bux per large bag,

I just add straight sand to tank before the water and have water slowly fill the tank then do a couple of large waterchanges turn filter on and water will clear up pretty quick :lol:

like alan i never really stirred it up as imo no real need to if well planted as the roots along with the bacteria in the sand (after time) and preferably a filter should all work in well together and balance everything, if you get a build up on the surface you could gravel vac just the top, hope that makes sence lol

Thanks for your input, i went to Bunnings and had a look around last weekend but the guy there said all their stuff had additives so I passed. Is this stuff stores outside in the big sections that you can buy trailer loads from? or inside somewhere. Alan do you go and get you own river sand or from that place you told me? thanks