Howsit from Dunedin

Floater

Hey hey people, my name is Scott and I'm currently a student at Otago University doing a Bcom. The wheels have been set in motion for me getting a small tropical tank setup. Ordered a 60L 60x30x40 tank which should be here in a few weeks. I've kept tropical fish before, about 6 years ago now, I'm ashamed to say I didn't do a very good job of it. This time round I plan to research thoroughly before setting up as well as put in the necessary time and effort. I hope to one day get myself a really large tank and set it up with some discus, really beautiful fish in my opinion, will only happen though once I'm out of university and found myself a decent job to supply me with the doe to do a really good job of it! Should've probably made this post sooner but only just saw the Welcome forum!

**Edit** I was recommended to this forum by BlueMoon (who is my sister) she says you folks are a wealth of information and experience!

save some pennies, im a poor student and got 5 tanks :)

just have to sacrifice things, like excessive grog, not that you would know about that in dunners :wink:

Haha, I'm not so worried about the initial setup cost as I am about my power bill sky rocketing. The heaters and lights surely use a fair bit of power yeh?

Hi and welcome. I'm in year 10 (form 4 :roll: ) and I've got 2 tanks 8) and I didn't pay for either :o :lol: break out with the poly to make things cheaper in the way of heating.

Haha one step ahead of you :P already got myself a big 20mm thick piece, just waiting for the tank to arrive so I can cut it to size!

what size tank ya getting? stocking ideas?

Ordered a 60L 60x30x40 tank which should be here in a few weeks. I was thinking I'd start small and see how it goes. Probably get about 10 neons or cardinals, a bristlenose or two and I really like the look of blue rams but that's a big MAYBE at the moment, I want to do more research on them. The few websites that I've read on them suggest that the tank I'm getting would be big enough for a pair. What do you think?

Looks like you tank will be 72l, so a pair of Rams should be fine, just make sure you have lots of plant cover for the female to hide in when the male is in a grumpy - chase the girlie and beat her up mood.

We have a pair in a 64l (400mm cube) which is heavily planted, and they seem to be fine. Some days they are swimming around happily together, others she is hiding in the bushes while he cruises around the front of the tank being macho man.

Other occupants are 9 Green Neons and a small Clown Loach which is supposed to be keeping the snail population in check...

Looks like you tank will be 72l, so a pair of Rams should be fine, just make sure you have lots of plant cover for the female to hide in when the male is in a grumpy - chase the girlie and beat her up mood.

We have a pair in a 64l (400mm cube) which is heavily planted, and they seem to be fine. Some days they are swimming around happily together, others she is hiding in the bushes while he cruises around the front of the tank being macho man.

Other occupants are 9 Green Neons and a small Clown Loach which is supposed to be keeping the snail population in check...

I wanted to put in some dwarf hairgrass but that's as far as I've got on plants. What plants do you have in your tank?

I've got a 60l tank with 2 Black Widows, 4 khulies, 3 gold rams, 4 bronze corys, 8 baby platys, 1 female fighter, 2 BN's and a school of neons and sometimes I put my male fighter in there. I know it's overstocked but I do big weekly water changes. I'm also year 10 (same as georgeous) and have 5 tanks setup at the moment. I paid for the tanks and the parents pay the power bill :lol: :lol:

I wanted to put in some dwarf hairgrass but that's as far as I've got on plants. What plants do you have in your tank?

Hmm... Dwarf Hairgrass Elocharis, Star Grass Heteranthera zosterifolia, Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia', Bacopa monnieri, Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', Sagittaria subulata, Echinodorus leopard.

I think thats it...

Will post a pic when I get home tonight.

A picture would be awesome Zev. What is the deal with bubble walls (can't think of a better way to describe it) I really like the look of them, would my tank be too small for that sort of feature? I plan to use a sand substrate too, would that cause problems in conjunction with a bubble wall along the bank of the tank?

Bubble walls are for aesthetic purposes only - so if you like them, you could put one in, the fish do not probably care either way.

Could be a problem with sand, if you crank it up too high it may produce swirling currents from top to bottom in your tank, but a 'quieter' bubble wall might be ok - probably a trial and error thing, and may depend on what plants you have for ground cover.

However, if you run Co2 as I do, the bubble wall is a no-no, as it dissipates the Co2 out of the water.

Pic as promised, the fish buggered off when I pulled the camera out!

400mm-cube-02.jpg

400mm cube tank

Fluval 104 filter

70w 6500k Metal Halide lamp

Co2 - 2.5kg bottle filled with food grade Co2, ceramic diffuser

1 pair Blue Rams Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

9 Green or False Neon Tetras Paracheirodon simulans

1 Clown Loach Chromobotia macracanthus

a squillion snails -grrrr...

plants as per previous post.

Only just saw this thread! Welcome! :D

I agree with Zev that you'll need lots of plants for the girlie to hide in. My boy gets a bit bossy at times too - but he always makes it up to her! Blue Rams are stunning though, you should definitely try getting a pair.

That is a really nice tank, btw Zev.