power consumption calculating?

i didnt know u could get those! i was talking about doiin it the old skool way using a clip-on ammeter and using power = voltage xcurrent converting it into Kwh and x the cost per unit, so these gadgets work out the Kwh or the rough amount in money that the appliances use?

Just be wary of doing it this way as you're not taking the power-factor of any items into account. You are actually measuring kVA, not kW. In most cases it will be close enough but if you have a lot of pumps you could be out by 30%. The plug-in style meters measure the phase angle between the voltage and current and compensate for power factor...

Hi,

I've got a power usage meter hooked up to my 150L tank, which has an air pump, dual 60cm lamps, 150w Jager heater and a fluval 205 ext filter hooked up to it. I'll reset the meter now, and tell you how many Kw are used in a 24hr period tomorrow night. Multiply that by the kwh price and you'll have a close estimate for a 150l tank. I can do this on 165l and 130l tanks if you want as well.

Just be wary of doing it this way as you're not taking the power-factor of any items into account. You are actually measuring kVA, not kW. In most cases it will be close enough but if you have a lot of pumps you could be out by 30%. The plug-in style meters measure the phase angle between the voltage and current and compensate for power factor...

The warehouse one has a display for power factor. But...It always stays at 1.00 as far as I can see. So it may not be correcting for it. But...It's $15, you want laboratory grade accuracy go get yourself a second mortgage and buy the gear.:)

Using my elto power meter, hoping it is semi accurate , i recorded 2.8 kwh over a 24hr period. The tank size and specs are:

130l Aqua one tank on Polystyrene,

150w Jager Heater

Double 15w Light hood, 30w total, on timer 11hr day

10w Fluval 205 external Filter

Fish

1 x Red spot Plec

2 x Bristlenoses

5 x Striata loaches

1 x Male Siamese Fighter

4 x Pearl Gourami's

1 x Siamese algae eater

2 x Bronze Cories.

Plus 8 est plants,

Hope this info is of use to someone, I can test a bigger tank anytime, PM me if you want

Just swapped mine over to my 4 foot tank, at the moment it's using about 325 watts. I'll check tomorrow at about the same time see what the total power usage is. I expect it will end up somewhere around 5 kw hours.

If it stays at 325 watts constant that would be Ahhh...$43/month.

Hi Allm

I forgot to add that 98% of the tank heaters are only 55 watts and the other 2% are 100 watts.

It was calculated be me when building the room that the heaters would have about a 12% duty cycle over 12 hours, which is about 2.7 hours running per day.

:bow:

• 2 weeks later...

Those elto meters give stupid values for anything with a switching power supply, its like its not properly calculating the watts averaged, and is just averaging the voltage and current and then muliplying. Apparently my magnetically ballasted fluros use 83 watts for the 2 of them (36 watts) yet my electronic ones which run cooler are taking close to 100.

Power factor that it reports will not go below 70ish, its on 100 for things I know have crap power factor.

Useless for computers, quite accurate on my 1000 watt halogen worklight and a heater.

I worked out its about 80c/day for my 3 tanks