nz pufferfish????

A-town...

I was strolling along the beach yesterday (bethells) with my girlfriend and came across a fish but not an ordinary snapper or dead seagull which you see a lot of at bethells but a large pufferfish around 30-40cm in size its beak was solid quite capable of snapping a human finger off!!!! wanted to take a pic but had no camera. would anyone know what species it would be or why it had died and washed up on shore??? do we get many large puffers around the auckland region or would it have died in a warmer location and got washed up on our beach???

:-?

thanks

ideas on catching one? fishing rod? haha

hard to catch small ones

go along the ocean beach during a storm

and walk the waterline, sometimes they are wallowing in the backwash

if still alive take a bucket and fill with salt water place puffer in it and let it settle

rubber gloves are good to handle them with as once inflated those spines are rigid

take enough water to do a waterchange after about 20 mins or wait on beach till they have deflated and change water

when inflated they seem to foul the water quicker

better end of summer months for pickups

I thought you were one of those people who objected to people getting fish that they would be able to maintain once they reach full size mystic :roll: . When little puffy the puffer gets up to 60cm long you are gonna need one hell of a big tank for him!