Replacing 4ft glass tank base.

Dixon1990

You need to flip the tank upside down and use a glass cutter to make diagonal lines out from the corners like this >< and then give it some good whacks to start it breaking. Then carefully pushe the glass down and pry the pieces away from the silicone. You then need to scrape the silicone, clean off the glass with methylated spirits and then put the new glass on and use popsicle sticks to keep a gap between it and the old glass. Then go around the aquarium carefully and squeeze the silicone in the gaps. Once this is mostly hardened (about an hour) you can remove the sticks and fill the gaps with silicone. When all that hardens flip the tank over and seal from the inside.

A lot easier to do than explain!!

when i replace a base i cut glue through with a craft knife all the way around the base glass, then cut diagonals and tap inside of cuts with end of glass cutter to crack the base

then lever out cut pieces with the blade, being careful to not put too much pressure on the good panes left

then clean all old glue off and follow what evil said

try glass repair places for a replacement sheet, local guy has been giving me 10mm for a good price so i have been using that for replacing bases

shop around

The method I described is for a single person building or rebuilding an aquarium without assistance as taught to me by the local professional aquarium maker with 30+ years experience with glass. If you have someone that can help, by all means bead with silicone and place the glass afterwards carefully.

Same local glass maker would charge $240 for a 120 x 45 x 45 aquarium with lots of bracing. The replacement glass would probably cost $30 to 50.

The cost depends on if they have second hand glass

As a glass merchant spending about $300,000 per year on glass, that piece would cost me more than what some people are quoting.

If your buying new glass, anything in the $70 to $90 would be a great price with the retail cost being somewhere $130 plus GST

I dont stock or sell second hand glass as storage is not worth it and it takes up valuable space that new glass could use. Afterall, if you have some nice new doors installed and want glass in them, the last thing you would want is scratched second hand glass in them

There is a place in ChCh that should sell you an offcut piece of 10mm glass for about $50/sq metre. I got brand new offcut glass for a 1200 x 450 x 400mm tank plus euro bracing top and bottom for $250. They are cut from offcuts of new glass and kept for fishtank makers.

If you want to break the bottom to remove it more easily make the diagonal scours on the bottom but tap the glass from the inside until it breaks on the line (not the outside). Put the bomb sticks in the freezer with a bomb around it. RTV is an adhesive not a filler and I have built heaps of tanks and never used a bomb stick or seen a tank built that way----it must be a north Island thing.

I understand that they cure by reacting with the moisture in the air and then form a waterproof seal. If this is the case then too much silicone is likely to be not properly cured in the middle. Most people use way too much when making tanks and I think it is no stronger but just looks ugly. Cut the glass accurately and glue glass to glass is the way to go I think.