Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Feeding frogs

Featured Replies

Has anyone got any ideas on how/where I can find bugs to feed my frogs as I am dessperate. I've brought flies but they're not hatching. Please help I really don't want them to die.

Yeah I've looked. There aren't any flies or any spiders and I couldn't find anything under rocks.

Use your imagination. Run a net through long grass, leave some old meat out (it WILL smell), whip a net above the compost bin, turn over stones and logs to get worms, slaters. They will eat pretty much anything small enough. I have read they're not allowed spiders and those green shield bugs.

HTH,

George

Something I read on this forum......leave a hunk of dogroll in the sun and wait for the flies to arrive....use a large fish net and whammo....

Thanks for all the quick replys guys. The only problem is lately there hasn't been any sun otherwise the flies are usually all around the back yard where my dog hangs out. I've run a net through long grass and found nothing and I've looked under logs and stones up our bush and couldn't find anything.

Yeah they've been in the hot water cupboard out of light for 2 or 3 weeks

No. Why?

there will be heaps of slaters in one.

Now that its dark, flick on an outside light and wait 8) If you dont have one, and don't want moths inside, shine a bedside lamp at a window and go outside. Soon, moths should be whacking into the glass.

HTH

Yeah they're already in the hot water cupboard. I'll go put a light on and wait.

Have you tried garden worms? The frog that I found seems to love it!!

Look under rocks etc or I'm sure there are a number of methods on the net you could try to summon the worms to the surface..

Yeah I tried worms but they weren't very interested in them. Maybe when they're a bit bigger they'll be more interested in them. I think I'll go down to the lfs tommorow and buy some flies that have hatched.

if u ever get really stuck for food buy reptomin its a pellet reptile food then cut a piece of really thin nylon dip the end in honey and stick 1 or 2 pellets to it dangle gently in front of frog and very gently wiggle it , a lot of the time they will go 4 this if they dont give it some more time, they may not be hungry enuff to eat a strange food. most ppl over feed there frogs for an adult bell frog 4 or 5 flies(or equivalent bug) once every 3 or 4 days if suffiecient , tho they will eat as many as u give them, this can be even less in winter

Has anyone got any ideas on how/where I can find bugs to feed my frogs as I am dessperate. I've brought flies but they're not hatching. Please help I really don't want them to die.

If they are young, buy a fruitfly culture from biosuppliers in akl and get it shipped. The mix they feed on is 4 boiled potatoes mashed, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon yeast. Fruit fly cultures...the gift that keeps on giving and giving...cheap too :D

You could catch larger fruit flies and start your own culture too...

Look by your house hold garbage if it's outside, go door to door asking if you can go through compost bins, quick visit to the beach, lots of sand flies there, visit a dairy farm, leave a porch light on at night to attract all sorts of bugs.

don't know about you but every time i cook something in the oven or crock pot in come the flies..... ie chicken or meat smells seem to atract them.

whats every1s thoughts on mealworms for frogs??
they love them but u have to make sure they are eating them b4 they get out of the dish and drown or burrow

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.