Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Looking for cleanup crews...

Featured Replies

Hi

I am new to SW aquariums, after being a tropical fish guy for years and am figuring out this is a totally different world and a lot more complex.

I have a tank set up and it is now cycled and has its first fish in it... So all going well.... What I am after though is after reading a few books and a number of hours on the internet, I am looking for what is termed a Cleanup Crew.

What should I use and where do I get it from. My LFS has not been able to help on this.

Hi Gibbo, the only sort of cleanup crew you can get here is snails. There are turbos and astreas that are sometimes available from other reefers. My tank is new so unfortunately I can offer you any as I dont have many myself but others may be able to help.

There are also blue-leg hermit crabs about but they are not on the permitted list so people generally hold on to them if they have them

  • Author
There are turbos and astreas that are sometimes available from other reefers. My tank is new so unfortunately I can offer you any as I dont have many myself but others may be able to help.

Does anyone have any I can buy / trade with in the Auckland area? Also how many do I need for a 160litre tank?

alot however if you start with about 10 or more they will quickly breed and youll have loads

Just so long as you don't have coral banded shrimp or something else that will eat them!! I still haven't managed to get any new generations!!

Mine never did as far as I saw

Perhaps there were just soo many snails he couldn't eat them as fast as they were reproducing?

I used to always have baby snails on the glass before the lights came on in the morning (thousands of them), since I added a baby sixline I dont have any. All my turbos have died of old age now, and I am left with my adult astreas (4 now I think) which havent bred yet.

Yes my 6 line spent all day every day hunting out pin head sized snails to eat. Crunchy but delicious! :lol:

Enough survived though & if he didn't do it there would have been a population explosion & starvation I guess.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.