snake neck care

henward

well, i have had red ear, reeves and snake neck, and out of all, the snake neck is the most interesting,

i gave them up cos i wanted other things but my love for reptiles, also the fact there isnt any others really to have:D has made me want them again

but someone told me, actually from a pet shop, that they dont actually need land area and can be entirely in water.

i noticed ages ago that my snake neck NEVER went onto land, and NEVER slept out of water... always just sits at the bottom even though there is land. red ears and reeves definately but snake necks never.

is this true? or should i really put land in?

I use to think the same untill I got a 3 year old snakeneck which is bigger than any ive seen (even older 1's) especially for its age and according to the owner was fed twice a day and had a heat lamp?

It basks almost every day :o

So may pay to have a rock or something for it to climb out of the water if desired, (maybe a heat lamp aswell), I think some prefer to bask alot more thn others, should be interesting to see what others have found

have seen those that do and those that don`t even down to in the wild.Went out with my brother in qsld and tried to catch some,he had to put his gogles on and dive down,look for a hairy algae covered rock that moved and he could just pick them off the bottom.They had a good inch thick layer of it and been a long time under the water?Have also seen alot here in captivity that never seem to feel the need to come out,they must how ever if they want to lay?

I have 2 snake necks. One never gets out of the water and the other does sometimes. This is the same, regardless if they are inside in a tank under a heat lamp, or in the outside pond under the sun. The one that never basks does often float near the top and under the lights with legs outstretched as tho hes basking...just still in the water.