carpet moths

:-? i have a big problem of carpet moths in my house all around the skirting boards and behind tanks e.t.c

I vaccumn up all the cacoon things and see a patch of carpet eaten away. My landlord is gonna kill me and i cant find any moth balls to buy.

Anyone have any solutions to help get rid of them please? :cry:

i will be moving out of the house and there will be no carpet left :lol: not a good look!

you can spray round the skirtings with insecticide, should at least slow them down if not get rid of not get rid of them all together.

how long have you been living in the house?

carpet beetle takes a while to actually eat away at the carpet, its quite possible that the beetle was in the house before you moved in, therefore not your problem.

sooner you get on to it the better :wink:

maybe it would be a good idea to show your landlord now and let him/her sort it?

even if it was new carpet when you moved in, if the old carpet had beetle and the house was not sprayed before the new lot was installed, the beetles will still be there.

you can spray round the skirtings with insecticide, should at least slow them down if not get rid of not get rid of them all together.

how long have you been living in the house?

carpet beetle takes a while to actually eat away at the carpet, its quite possible that the beetle was in the house before you moved in, therefore not your problem.

sooner you get on to it the better :wink:

maybe it would be a good idea to show your landlord now and let him/her sort it?

even if it was new carpet when you moved in, if the old carpet had beetle and the house was not sprayed before the new lot was installed, the beetles will still be there.

Coming from the resident carpet layer himself :bow:

thanks dime bag. I have been here over 2 years. noticed these cocoon things about a year ago.

carpet was fine when i moved in but its getting worse. i find the house may be damp and possibly carpet feels damp to walk on in places. under house is just dirt i think, and floor boards might be rotting? maybe this is whats causing it.......

I dont often see the moths flying around but sometimes little moths.

I would vacumn then two weeks later in a diff area there will be more cocoons.

Did spray one room with a pet and bedding spray for fleas, ticks, lice e.t.c but they still come back.

just wonder why you cant buy moth balls anymore.

would carpet shampooing help the situation?

Hey caryl.

Did show my landlord one of the bad rooms when my flatmate moved out. he did not say much but i feel guilty as i dont like causing damage to a house. I hope this could not be taken out of my bond or have me up for new carpet. but the house is old if you can remember lol weather boards rotting around me.... :o

shampooing the carpet will do nothing apart from clean the carpet.

sounds like its fairly well infested, i think you definately need to call your landlord, let him decide what they are going to do.

sounds they might be better off getting new stuff?

Are they moths or beetles?

To do it properly you need a professional. They have probably been there more than 2 years, it can take several years before the person even notices anything. The main damage is the larvae eating the bottom of the carpet and quite a bit of damage is already done before the carpet starts coming out in clumps.

Under the residential tenancy act the tenant is liable for "day to day" pest issues, but with longer term stuff such as carpet beetles your obligation is to report it to the landlord and ensure he understands the seriousness of the situation. As it is likely to have started before you moved in it is the landlords responsibility to sort it. It would be best to have some written proof you have reported it. And don't delay reporting it or you can share in the blame for letting it go until damage is done.

I know all this because I do pest control for a job, and often deal with tenancy issues.

The cost to treat the house is probably something around $200.00, money well spent from the landlords point of view.

Hey wasp. yes its starting to look more like beetles by the sound of it. Have let my landlord know and he is going to get back to me. I assume he would have to get pest control to spray the house then could possibly claim insurance on the eaten carpet.

Apparently it is a health risk? Eww carpet beetles!!!!!!!! never come accross this before

The products used are harmful to fish, however they are just sprayed onto the carpet.

Make sure to notify the pest controller you have a tank, and follow his instructions. But as a pest controller and a fish keeper, my advice is to cover the tank with a drop sheet or similar, and turn off all air or preferably tube in air from outside, which will maintain aeration plus keep positive pressure inside the tank to keep drift out. Also put all food, tools etc away where they cannot be accidentally contaminated.

After the job is done thoroughly ventilate the house for 1/2 hour before removing the drop sheet. Longer is better if the tank can handle that much being covered. If possible avoid pumping air from inside the house for 24 hours.