Dyscalculia

Caryl

Did anyone see the Campbell Live report on this condition?

I have just listened to further information on National Radio

http://www.aboutdyscalculia.org/

For those, like me, who have always struggled with maths and the concept of numbering and formulae, it was a revelation. I actually remember my Dr suggesting a few years ago that I might have dyscalculia. Looks like he was right. It is such a relief to know there is a reason (sort of) for my difficulties!

It doesn't make life as difficult as it is for dyslexics but it impacts on daily life all the same. Apparently about 6% of the population have dyscalculia, a similar percentage to those who have dyslexia.

I have a friend with it but it is only with money and his turn to shout. He is Strain. I didn't see the program but it helps us understand how we are all different and how we need a little tolerance. It would be a boring world if we were all the same. I used to resent all those right handed people out there making scissors upside down so I got blisters. Then I realised that 6/7 of the poulation were not wired correctly and were put here to teach us normal people tolerance, patience and understanding.

Good answer alanmin4304

I’m colour blind and back in my primary school days they had a way of teaching maths by using little colored blocks of wood.

They thought well this kid has a real learning problem

You see colour blindness was not recognized as a legitimate disorder back then

Times have changed thank god

How many people out there think if your colour blind well you must only see things in black and white

Not true just have difficulty with identifying certain colors

Just a miss wire in the brain but you learn to get around it

And now I work with electronics

It just means in my case working a bit harder to get around this disorder and relying on other peoples understand and help when I need it.

Cheers :D

Like many other talents colour blindness is generally a male thing. My exwife was a dye colour matcher at a clothing factory and used to have some diabolicals with her male boss. My earliest memories of starting school are of being smacked on the hand every time I went to pick up the chalk with my left hand. Inventions arise from these challenges. Calculators were probably invented by a person with discalculia. Hate to think what the problem was that gave birth to computers.