Whats the difference between...

purplecatfish

I've got confused because I've been looking at killis on the net at work. And I've seen identical pictures that have been labeled as both varieties.

At least I'm beginning to understand (correct me if I'm wrong) why you don't mix different killies. To me, with my genetics background, hybrids are between species (and usually sterile) but in a lot of killi articles the term hybrid is used refering to mixing varieties. The varieties may be geographic species but aren't genetic species.

Then just to confuse things some species of killies will hybridise and most killi articles refer to varieties as though they were species (like in my initial question). This is why the full latin name should be used, so newbies like me don't get confused.

Is there somewhere that states something like "don't mix any of these from Group F: P82, nigerianus, gardeneri (blue), gardeneri var gardeneri,etc but any from that group can be mixed from Group E" (whatever group E is).

Anyway for thanks for letting me visit Barrie. It was great. The killies have settled in nicely and the male has bullied the Gouramis out of the mass of Ambulia (bubblenest site), so I'm going to send the Dwarfs to Wok this weekend.

And what is the full latin name of the killies that I got off you?Thanks again.

easy, dont mix any species with another

But P82 is the same species as nigerianus and gardeneri blue and gardeneri aquarium strain, from a taxonomic view.

I think you mean varieties.

What I want to know is what strains can be mixed without hybridisation and diluting the genetic variation.

They are all gardneri but different colour varients and the aim of the killi club is tio keep those varients pure. They can all be crossed and will have fertile young but the end product will be a load of unknown rubbish.

Exactly. That's why breeding guppies isn't worth the time .

But when your wife has said no more tanks (currently a 2.5m, 1.9m, 1.5m, 1.2m 3ft and a small tank) and you want to get more killies; then the only option is house several types together. But I'm only going to consider types that won't interbreed.

If, for example, gardeneri and king killies don't hybridise, and they get along, then putting them into a community tank would be a possibility. I could then look at using the hospital tank as a spawning tank. (At least until I convince the wife that it would be ok to have a breeding setup in the garage if I get rid of the guppies.:lol: )

Why don't you partition some of your existing tanks? You could probably divide the 1500mm tank into five at least, if it is quite wide you could put a piece of glass in lengthwise along the back and put the heater in there to heat the whole lot.

The 1.5m tank is too tall, and the other tanks aren't an option for conversion. I'm supposed to be getting rid of the 3ft 'hospital/quarantine tank' although that would be the obvious one to convert.

But we've just had our kitchen renovated and I'm thinking of putting the old cupboards into the garage (with some insulation) and turning it into a breeding setup. And then displaying them in the planted tanks in the house.

Barrie's tank building demo at the last AK Fishkeepers meeting is in part the inspiration. The other part is the "I'm turning the kitchen into a fishroom" comment.

the best thing without a doupt is to move as much as possible into the garage. This has a lot of things going for it as shemales dont like entering our mancave areas so will never know whats within those dingy walls covered in spider webs and smelly food containers (You need plenty of micro worm cultures) yet pretty things come from the cave and appare in your single tank in the house. Another plus is that it gets you from under her feet and out of the house/kitchen so it wont interrupt her cooking and baking.

I stand back and await the beating

Or alternatively you could encourage a shecave in the garage as Barrie has - half yours, half mine - although if you measure it out I think Barrie has slightly more.

That way you can share and make everything much better - mainly because she will still have her kitchen, and hopefully won't find a use for her cave. You may as well use it in the interim.

I'm thinking of getting in touch with Mike from Biosuppliers to do a talk for us - Will this be alright for you, or will you get in trouble for using the kitchen sink to grow worms.

Barrie.. one problem

I don't like my wife in the kitchen cause she can't cook much and she doesn't bake. Kitchen is MY domain too. that is why there are 2 tanks on the kitchen bench :lol:

as for the Garage.. I ain't got any more room in there for anything :(

Matt

the entire other side of the garage is Brendas as well.... I plan on taking her shecave at some stage when I have enough guts and can afford my health to suffer for a while.

Wok... Your wife has you very well trained indeed and I now know why you had to rush away from the AGM... to cook her dinner

Or alternatively you could encourage a shecave in the garage as Barrie has - half yours, half mine - although if you measure it out I think Barrie has slightly more.

Ahh, but brenda has to walk through barrys half to get to her half.... She will become hooked in no time; its all part of the plan :wink:

I have to be careful because I'll be using the old kitchen in the garage and I don't want to create a shecave.

I'm thinking of getting in touch with Mike from Biosuppliers to do a talk for us - Will this be alright for you, or will you get in trouble for using the kitchen sink to grow worms.

Problem solved : I'm going to use the old sink to grow whiteworms :D.

The talk sounds like another great idea.

Hi Everyone,

purplecatfish the correct names to your original question is

Fundulopanchax gardneri(don't know what it really is so identify it as..)Blue , Aquarium strain

And

Fundulopanchax nigerianus (probably the gold variety)

or it would have come with names like...

p82

or

jos plateau

Nigerianus(was nigeriatum ) used to be part of the gardneri species but has now(and for some time)be given it's on species so gardneri nigerianus(or nigeriatum) is no longer a valid name.

NOTE TO NZKA PEOPLE, please consult your species surveys for the correct names, as giving out old - out of date names only leads to confusion for new people.

( if you don't have a form please contact me)

I can't state this enough...

the aim of the killi club is to keep those variants pure.

The only safe bet is to keep the Aphyosemion and Fundulopanchax in separate tank, with the exception of Fundulopanchax sjoestedti.

An Aphyo. or Fundulo. species can be keep together(noteing aggression, dietry or predation concerns)with Aplocheilus, Austrolebias, Epiplatys, Jordanella, Nothobranchius and Pseudepiplatys species.

However the 2 colour forms of Aplocheilus Lineatus will cross as will Notho. species.

The problem with searching the web for pic's to ID your Killies is :- the Author may not have placed the strain(collection site) with the pic and many Gardneri and Nigerianus species/strains look alike.

Or

The information may be years old and names maybe out of date, assuming they were correct in the first place.

The difference between the 2 species in your original question is very hard to explain but there is a visual difference, let alone a genetic one(look in the dorsal an anal fins)

Stu

NZKA

Species controller