An update

yarimochi

This fish look really nice :bow::bow:

Will the royal knife fish's back become more, oh shoot, don't know what you would call it..hmmmm...prounced? hunched? Like its color :P

Also like the color of the eel...just don't like eels because they remind me too much of sss..ssss...snakes, ewwwwwww yuck!

Caper

hope it does work out to adult hood you see my giant borneo tigers just killed a 10 inch royal clown, damnit

i just found it crushing the knife fish

leaves the angelicus syno alone though.

im addint a giant gourami in there soon when i get back to nz - that hopefully and should be ok as its also a fish that has some guts

but the royal clown is a shy one

i wish i had that aro

:D what do you feed the aro? ltso of shrimp?

YEAHA! Lets put another CK in danger!

U people make me sick sometimes! ARGHH! :evil:

:roll: What was he keeping the knife with again??

Seems how you've got such psychic powers to predict what will and won't work perhaps you could share next weeks lotto numbers with us? :lol:

Mystic your experiences don't equal hard fact. Just because mixing a knife with dats didn't work for you doesn't mean it will never work. There are many many people keeping knife fish (and all manner of things) with large datnoids, hell the probably even cross paths in habitat. In this case it didn't work out, possibly because of a big size difference between the knife and the dats, which is why I suggested Bjorns CK as its 40cm+ and already living happily with a couple of large datnoids (unless he's sold them already).

People always try to define fishkeeping with rules, XX inches of fish per gallon, must have 10x turnover for filtration, can't mix this with that, etc etc. These are not set in concrete, in fact there are usually so many exceptions its a stretch to even call them rough guidelines. What works for one person might not work for another, all you can do is try it and be prepared to pick up the pieces when it doesn't work.

Mystic your experiences don't equal hard fact. Just because mixing a knife with dats didn't work for you doesn't mean it will never work. There are many many people keeping knife fish (and all manner of things) with large datnoids, hell the probably even cross paths in habitat. In this case it didn't work out, possibly because of a big size difference between the knife and the dats, which is why I suggested Bjorns CK as its 40cm+ and already living happily with a couple of large datnoids (unless he's sold them already).

People always try to define fishkeeping with rules, XX inches of fish per gallon, must have 10x turnover for filtration, can't mix this with that, etc etc. These are not set in concrete, in fact there are usually so many exceptions its a stretch to even call them rough guidelines. What works for one person might not work for another, all you can do is try it and be prepared to pick up the pieces when it doesn't work.

Will you marry me? :lol: :oops:

ok,well, i have actually decided to dedicate a tank for my large dats, just 3 of them, 2 dats and angelicus which they leave alone, actually chases them sometimes away from its cave.

mystic is right on a point, i risked a RCK, worked out for awhile but didnt in the end, i have asked mfks their opinion, and its 50/50 with large dats

we are not talking medium sized, i mean large here in terms of my dats. they seem to be different at that size and not growing up with any other large fish, thats probably why they are like that.

so wont risk that anymore, if anything ill try the jardini in there to see what would happen cos the jardini no longer sees the tank as its territory but even that ill have to be weary

its ok, i have a spare tank for them and plenty of filters:D

i would like that CK from aprohecy though, its still forsale, but i cant buy it untill i set up my big one, and even then i have monsters for that already.

So you've never lost a fish Mystic? Never come home and found that new addition was a little small to go in with the aro? Never had a usually peaceful fish turn and beat the snot out of one of his tankmates? Wow, I look up to you, oh what it must be like to be a "good fishkeeper". :hail::hail::hail:

I find that pretty insulting, that you're implying that myself, henward, the people I'm about to quote, and at least one other person on this site are not good fish keepers. :evil:

Here's five pages of people recommending dats as tankmates for knife fish.

600g with several large (up to 18")dats and a clown knife. Then again, its a bare bottom tank which is cruel and unfair to the fish, look at how unhappy they are....

we try something and learn from the result and are better fishkeepers for it

my jardini lives alone, except for the occaisonal fish, insect or mouse who visits briefly

i think it all depends on the fish and their individual agression levels, the bigger predatory stuff seems to have more personality than the herbivores

holding ones tongue is like training bears

feed them honey and you will win