WHAT IS THIS FISH??

yarimochi

So I found these fish in a feshwater spring near takapuna beach that comes (probably) from lake pupuke. They seemed to be able to sruvive in the sea water that flooded a near by rockpool but also seemed to survive in a fully freshwater stream. They are very silvery and look like a herring or sardine or something. They are in my native tank and are doing just fine. Can someone please ID em for me?

DSC07451.jpg

DSC07356.jpg

Horrible photos, they are incredibly fast.

My guess is yellow eyed mullet Aldrichetta forsteri as well, but as a second possibility I'd say the grey mullet Mugil cephalus.

I've got yellow eyed mullet in my pond (with inanga and bullies), they eat algae with a shaking-head movement, (typical head banging westie fish :lol: ) . Sometimes they'll eat bloodworms and tubifex. They won't live in freshwater permanently so I'll have to release them where they came from one day.

a friend read an article recently that mentions an much older source talking about spreading grayling several inches thick on the ground and ploughing them in as fertiliser.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

All of 25 years before they were last seen.

a friend read an article recently that mentions an much older source talking about spreading grayling several inches thick on the ground and ploughing them in as fertiliser.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

All of 25 years before they were last seen.

wow really?? and people wonder why they're not around anymore..... :roll:

:D:D

i too have trouble engaging my brain before i put my mouth or fingers in gear, :D

back on topic

YELLOW EYED MULLET can take a wide range of salinity and water quality

though not for too long an extended period,

usually the last fish to die if the tank goes off