Killie Breeding.

Charlie

I have a few species of killies that i got from Tim (highly recomended) and I want to have a go breeding them.

This is what I have got...

1 Pair Nothobranchius Rachovii

2M 9F Australian Golds

6 Young Golden Wonders

1M 10F Gardneri Albino

10M Nigerianus Gold

What would be the best set-up to breed each specie? I have 9 2ft tanks and 9 30cm Cubes for them, what is the best way to go around this?

2M 9F Australian Golds

6 Young Golden Wonders

1M 10F Gardneri Albino

10M Nigerianus Gold

All the above are mop spawners.

So make a mop and feed them up on flake and live food

1 Pair Nothobranchius Rachovii

These are Peat breeders, so need to find some peat and put it into a small container with a hole cut in the lid.

the mop spawners

remove the eggs and place in a small container with a half drop of Meth Blue and wait untill they hatch. Remove the fry and feed with Micro worms or better still with baby brine shrimp untill they are about 10 to 12 mm long. At that stage put the fry in a larger tank and feed untill they are adults.

Rachovii

Pick up a couple of jiffy pots from the local plant shop, boil the peat to remove fertilisers cool down and do as Wok mentioned.

After a couple of weeks remove the peat and squeeze the water from the peat untill its as dry as say tabacco... dont dry it in the sun or anything like that, just squeeze it well. date it and count out 20 to 28 weeks and note the hatch date (I do mine for 24 weeks) and bag in 2 zip lock plastic bags and store in say your hot water cupboard (I put mine in an ice cream container and float on a tank) then when the time comes, empty the peat in something like a chinese take away container, cover with water from your tank, float on a tank if your room isnt heated and wait for the fry to hatch then do the same as the mop spawners

wives or Micro worms?

You guys would definately be lost without a woman to keep you on the straight and narrow!

Had our 'boil up' last night - didn't pong too much.

Kids thought it was weird cooking 'mud' on the stove and commented that it looked like the Bog of Eternal Stench of the movie Labyrinth!