sump with eelgrass in it

sumpsgrassfx7.jpg

eel grass pic

sumpseagrasswb5.jpg

heaps of bugs in there

hope their good ones, shrimps like a glass shrimp but smaller and finer

good sea horse food

thats a good read david, thanks

that skimmer is a little honey, big pump and some fine tuning has the wet pooring out of the overflow tube

was more concerned with using it to support the pods and life thats in it,

trialling this then will try a 2 metre x 1 metre bed of it on the large local tank to provide for seahorse breeding

has some sea lettuce in amongst it

can we add caulerpa to it later?

I've been thinking a little about the whole ecosystem of a coral reef, which isn't all corals. I suspect a lot of 'difficult' corals might actually be less so if a more normal balance of organisms is present in the system. That and I like Mandarin fish (which like eelgrass) :D Let me know how it goes for you.

DAy 5 water test on sump

no heater yet but its been sitting around 20c

pH - 7.8

Ammonia - 0.25ppm

Nitrate - 0.10ppm

Nitrite - 0.50ppm

Po4 - o.0

running a Via aqua 1300 pump at the moment

will start heater tomorrow and see how all these coldwater critters take it

loaded more Shrimp and other types of pods into it today

trying to remove snails and crabs, is this a good idea or not

Yes interesting question about the snails & crabs. A few times in the past I have loaded up a bucket with critters from a sheltered area where they could be collected, and dumped them into the sump (when I had one). However over a period of a few weeks there is a big reduction in biodiversity, and eventually almost none of the critters remain. I think what happens in a closed ecosystem is some of them just don't have their natural food. And some of them eat other ones and once they have eaten all of them, they themselves die. Some snails are carnivorous, I don't know much about snails but have been careful what to put in the tank. Some of the NZ native crabs are filter feeders, I know this because when I had some in the sump and they got settled in, you could watch them spread out two filter type things, that looked something like the appendage that comes out of a barnacle when it is feeding, from near their mouth & filter the water. However in a tank they would not have got much. They could also eat food such as chopped mussel.