Breeding fighters

Hi guys,

I just wanted your guys opinion on breeding Siamese fighters. I was recently told by someone that they really enjoyed breeding Siamese fighters and they thought that it was really easy. I was just wondering what you guys thought about breeding them. I don't have much experience in breeding fish and wasn't too sure if I should try. I already have a red fighter and just thought I'd find a nice female if was going to try.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your breeding Tsarmina. What sort are yours? How long can you keep all the male babies together? Could they survive in containers floating in the tank?

Hi All,

Have please check out a lot of my earlier posts about breeding Fighters.

They are easy to breed, hard to get through the labyrinth stage and damned time consuming to rear.

I breed them once a year and that is enough for me to look after. :roll:

Without patting myself on the back;

I rear about 98% of the fry that hatch. 8)

It takes a lot of time and jars to do them justice.

Good luck, but don't ever say you weren't warned. :oops:

:bow:

OK I thought they would have taken longer to grow. What in your advice do you think would be best to breed with a male red double ray fighter? (I think they're called double ray.)

OK I thought they would have taken longer to grow. What in your advice do you think would be best to breed with a male red double ray fighter? (I think they're called double ray.)

Would be best to breed with another crowntail female. However I have yet to see these in pet stores and as far as I know are currently only available through breeders.

They start developing decent fins between 3-6 months old, the speed they grow at depends on when the breeder decides to separate them into individual compartments and the food, care etc given to them.

Be warned that you will need to feed fry 2-3 times per day religiously, and be ready to house up to a couple hundred fry on a good spawn.

For more info you'd be better off doing some research through google as they can be time consuming and will take up a decent amount of space.

Check out these links too

http://bettysplendens.com

http://www.atisonbetta.com

http://www.bettatalk.com

http://www.ultimatebettas.com

http://www.bettaforums.com/forum/

IME unless you cross a crowntail with another true crowntail female you will end up with a mixed looking bunch of offspring.

A few and only a small few will throw the crowntail way but their resulting off spring probably will not.

It has taken me nearly 2 years to develop a really nice crowntail line (4th generation) based upon a full crowntail male and a very nice 3/4 crowntail female.

As yet I only have 3 males and 4 females from this line.

IMO you would be better to pay the money and acquire a true crowntail female from a breeder than use a female that you don't know unless you have a lot of time and patience.

Good luck

Thanks for all the info guys. Feeding them 2-3 times a day isn't a problem as I usually feed my platy that much. How old are they when you have to seperate the males?

Thanks for all the info guys. Feeding them 2-3 times a day isn't a problem as I usually feed my platy that much. How old are they when you have to seperate the males?

Most people seperate when they start to show signs of aggression towards each other, which is usually around the 2-3 month period, however seperating before this happens increases the growth rate drastically.

Also when they are still young and being brought up, the bigger fry should be taken out and put into a seperate tank together giving the smaller ones time to catch up a bit.

I have some 6 week old fry at the moment and the males are just starting to scrap. You will find the trouble maker easily, they are the ones with the split fins. They are about 1-1.5cm. This morning I split the tank up and removed all the smaller fry and put them in another tank as they can not compete for food and win.

unless you have ample space for raising a large amount male fighters, i find it best not to separate them unless you have to.

i had 4 fry survive to young adult stage and they all turned out to be males. unfortunately i lost one a few weeks ago, but i still need to sell 2 more, as i still have dad in a tank as well.

issue i have at the moment is, of the 2 i have to sell, 1 has a nipped tail and the other is missing a chunk out of his bottom fin. will have to wait till it grows back.

Well I got my female from Animalz today. She has red fins with flecks of blue in them just like my male and Im 99.9% sure she is a crown tail or atleast have crown tail in her. She is a very healthy fish (like most fish in Animalz) and was full of eggs.