Made it to Day 7 with Blue Ram Fry!!!

Hannahbell

All the fry are free swimming, Dad is guarding them very well and keeping them all together. Its amazing to see. I am feeding decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and liquid fry food. I need to do a gravel vac, but Im wary as I do not want to anger the male or suck up any little fry. I also have little white worms on the glass in the tank, which they are eating. This, Im told, is a sign I have over fed. But I have never got this far before when my Rams have spawned. Every morning is honestly a bit of a shock to see nearly 150 tiny little fry swimming around the Male.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, just see if you cant take a small amount of water out and don't worry about the worms only an issue when you have eggs. Don't gravel vac just change small amount of water daily and the parent will get use to it.

I changed some water and took out the filter wool that I have stuck in the filter inlet as it was looking all manky. Changed that also so my littlies do not get sucked up into the filter. I do hope I can keep this lot alive. Any ideas on when I should take the male out? Or even IF I should take him out?

I definatly would be looking for people to give them new homes once they get big enough (if they get big enough). Every day is a bonus that I have them. But yeah, once they get bigger I will not have the room for the little blighters LOL. I will keep you posted on their progress on here.

Well, another day and no huge losses. I did a gravel vac along with small water change. A plant had come loose so I got attacked by the male while I re planted it LOL. I sucked up two that seemed to be dead already, but apart from that, and the fact that it is near impossible to count them all, they seem to be doing well. Obviously they are eating what Im feeding them as I have seen poo's hanging from a few of them. Sorry for too much info LOL. Not too sure when I will remove dad. I guess once he leaves the school. He is still getting the strays and bringing them back to the main school and spitting them out. Will definatly keep everyone updated as it seems to be a hard thing to raise the fry from what Ive heard.

OK, Im thinking about taking Daddy out now as he seems to be stressing at the water coming back in from the filter, and attacking the bubbles that come down. The fry seem to be doing fantastically at the moment which is also good. Im just a bit worried that if he gets too stressed, either he will get sick, or he will eat the babies. Has anybody at all had any success with raising Blue Ram Fry?

:D Still alive. Maybe had a few losses, its hard to tell, but all good at the moment. The seem to be splitting up and not schooling as much. Dad is still picking them up in his mouth and spitting them out. Ive left him in there for now. Not feeding the liquid fry now, just micro worms and Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. I might look at getting one of those brine shrimp hatchery things. Anybody had them? Are they easy to use?

You mean the ones that sit in the tank with the fish - if so, no, but there was some discussion on here the other day about them not working that well I think.

I think someone in that conversation said it didnt feed out enough or something like that.

I can not find that post now.

Only have about half left now :( I did a bit of research on good ol' google, and found that I should gradualy lower the temp. So lowered it back to 28. Dad is back in the community tank. I have lost some fry. Maybe half?? But I had to remove Dad as he was acting stressed, shooting round the tank and just really not like himself. The remaining ones seem to be doing pretty good though. Im going to get a brine shrimp hatch thingie so I can give them some live food apart from the micro worms.

I have some amazing pics of the Male surrounded with fry. But I do not know how to resize pics on my new mac :-? Not too computer savvy LOL. I did a water change today and gravel vac. The water I got out was stinky, but the water in the tank not bad at all. Must just be all the grime in the gravel. Im probably raising Blue Ram Fry to live in the WORST water conditions ever. :oops: I have not done a water test for fear of what it actually shows up. The fry seem to be happy, so I dont want to disrupt them too much. I had a good look at some of them today and they are definatly getting bigger, some bigger than others. Probably looking at the mammoth size of 1/2 a centimeter LOL.

Cheers for that Luke. Just sending them through to you.

This morning there seems to be a few less in there, but in saying that, its hard to count them as during the day they do not school together. Night time is the easiest time to get a rough idea on numbers as they group together once I turn the light out on the tank and it gets a bit darker. Some are big enough to see the top fin on them. Still have to squint though LOL.

It's a pity ronnie or other successful breeders haven't added to this post to add thier experience.

I think they add green water to the mix, might even turn the filter off completely. I wouldn't have thought your bio load at the moment would require too much in the way of water changes.

Hope they keep growing for you. I couldn't seem to keep the adults alive long when I kept them let alone babies.

Good luck.