Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

question about really tropical fish

Featured Replies

hi in my research of some of the fish ive been looking at for the future some require really warm temps how do you do water changes without making the water to cold or two hot? especially with a large tank any hints tips thanks

i know you could have a thermometer in da water bucket but then you would have to muck around adding hot and cold until you get it right wouldn't this take a long time? im keen enough to do it but curious as to what other members do

I run my tanks 26c-29c

I do cold water changes out of the hose

Pools/rivers/streams in the wild have temp fluctuations with rain and the such

Some fish even love to play in the cold water coming out of the hose.

Water out of the tap here in Taupo is about 21c ATM

cool thanks for that good to know its not to bad i suppose in the winter add a little warmth to the water change?

I dont add anything/ just cold water into the tanks

Do about 50-30% changes

I do mostly cold water but in winter in the south island i used to add some boiled water to the bucket, and test it with my hand. Just enough to take the cold edge of it.

without making the water to cold or two hot?

*GROAN* :evil:

I just turn the hot tap all the way up and if it's too hot turn the cold higher and if it's too cold turn the cold tap down.

I've been monitoring this lately, and the water is coming out of my hose at around 21-23C in Auckland, so if the tank is at 26-27C and I replace 50% of the water with 22C water the temp doesnt drop below 24-25C. I'm sure fish can handle fluctuations like that, otherwise they'd never survive in the wild.

Not all fish will handle the fluctuation's

Most of your American cichlids will though as said above generally the water will change alot in thw wild

Your Lake Tang cichlids though the Temp hardly changes at all during the year so these fish wont handle it as well

It all comes down to what fish your doing it to

yes, some rivers and lakes in the world induce spawning from cold water surges

how? and why?

melting peaks of mountain ice trickel down and dcool the water, a sign that the right time has come.

my two 14" dats actually seek the cold jet of water. afterwards they love to play in it and be more active

obviusloy you dont wanna do a 70% water change thats just foolish

but 30 is fine, even 50% i have done with not problems.

if you actually most tropical fish, they will actually survive in water about 21 to 22 degrees, thats 2c under the prescribed temp

Your Lake Tang cichlids though the Temp hardly changes at all during the year so these fish wont handle it as well

I never had a problem doing 50% changes from the tap in hamilton (even in winter) on my old tanganyikan tank with leilupi's, A. ccompressorceps, brichardi, duboisi etc.

Doesnt mean its good for them

I wouldnt advise anyone to do that to these fish

In the wild they never get that happen to them

They get a very small change in temp and PH

If you wanted to keep them in their best condition you would try at least consider this

I never had a problem doing 50% changes from the tap in hamilton (even in winter) on my old tanganyikan tank with leilupi's, A. ccompressorceps, brichardi, duboisi etc.

wow, I would say more arse than class there. Be very careful. I would be very cautious doing water changes that way with Lake Tangy's. Then again, I don't know the quality of your water there either.

I don't play by the rules either when doing the 4x2x2 in the bedroom. Because of carpet, risk of spilling buckets etc. I syphon water straight out the tank out the window into the garden. About 30%. Then I refill with the hose, at a trickle. Usually takes an hour. Adding neutraliser, salts as I go.

The tanks in the garage, well I use a big drum & age the water.

Fish are hardier than what people give them credit for, but some species are tougher than others. If you are worried about cold water, just add slowly. Or parts at a time.

Frenchy :D

My Malawis loved their 50% water changes. Not only did they get a massive change in temp (thanks to the garden hose through the window trick. Tap on full blast through a trigger gun, the fish loved playing in the current) but the pH altered too :roll:

Not just that Brad. Most fish live at particular water level. ie; surf zone. The larger predators may very a bit in depth, even then, because of oxygen levels, cichlids don't go down far at all in the lakes. Lake Tangy I think is 40 metres top of my head.

Frenchy :D

In which Lake are you talking about Hans?

Brad

Most lakes

Anywho- my fish love it and ill keep doing cold water changes

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.