backgrounds again - pics added 16/5/08

spoon

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

summary:

decide on the effect u want and get some online pictures to help u with the carving

get some tools 2gether like craft knifes, heat gun, maybe a mini blow torch, small curved rasps or surforms

start carving the poly styrene, if u want to hide heaters and filter behind the poly this is the time to figure it out also make very sure u have cut the poly to the exact size it needs to be if u want more depth to a background use thicker poly or remember u can glue poly 2gether using epoxy glue

now u have ur piece carved how u want it go over it gently with the heat gun to get rid of ane fluff on it( unless u used only the heat gun for carving)

find an epoxy clear coat to use DO NOT USE POLYESTER RESINS! , i used equis epistixx clear its a waterbased epoxy , tho 4 a harder finish i suggest norski 421( more resistant to water dragon/turtle claws and boisterouis fishes. there are also a few other brands u can use like nuplex R180 ,or epiglass epoxy 6000

if u are doin a rock background a good effect is to coat the background with clearcoat and sprinkle river sand on top this in its self looks awesome and can be painted over (see below) coat all poly surfaces even if u wont see them when its finished remeber to do the two ends if u look at the sides of the tank also now if u are not using river sand u can mix some acylic paint with epoxy clear coat to colour it i have used ordinary artist or student acrylic NOT HOUSE PAINT. use earth colours such as sienna , burnt and raw umber or mix ur own colours to ur liking i wouldnt recommend using more than 15% paint in the epoxy (unless its waterbased epoxy) as its unlikely to set hard enuff. if u use a dark colour then dry brush ( very little paint , Almost a dry brush) a lighter colour over top in raised areas a nice finish can be achieved like simians background pictured earlier. this painting method can also be used over top of the river sand if u want a different colour, i have found it very difficult to use epoxy over normal paint as u end up brushing it off , if u find the finish is a bit shiny for u , when the epoxy is almost set brush it with a dry rag being careful not to wipe it off this will reduce the gloss(thanks again simian :wink: ) using these methods or others u may have found u can acheive a good finished product.

so its all painted completly dry and u are itching to get it in the tank , unless its a new tank u will need to drain the water and remove the gravel its also a good time to clean the tank :D . dry tank off and put it in to cheack it fits and ur heater or and filter will fit in behind it , if u have gone down this road with it, all good?

now silicone it in using aquarium safe silicone i find it best to coat the bottom of the background and the bits that will touch the back wall then lever it into place being careful not to get the silicone in places u dont want it, next seal down the sides with a bead of silicone (ane pieces contacted the glass depending on the design will need sealing around the edge) wait 24 hrs before putting gravel back in and filling with water . do a water change in 24 hrs and then another 1 in another 24hrs this will remove ane acid from the silicone curing, this should not leech if u do it properly as the epoxy is completly inert when set and does not react with anething however keep an eye out aneway. cycle ur tank and put ur fish back in ( a hint to speed this up is to put ur filter into another tank to keep it good while u have no water in the tank u are working on)

enjoy :D:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Aquatopia, that youtube link showing how to make backgrounds out of poly and concrete-have you tried it? Is concrete safe to use in aquariums?

Spoon, thanks for the tips! Might have to try it out. So is student acrylic paint safe to use in aquarium without being coated in epoxy?

Hi bogglesmum - no i have not tried it (yet) but it looks ok - i know someone made rocks for a marine tank out of concrete mixed with (crushed shells ?) i believe, though he soaked it for a LONG time to allow it to leach any nasties out. I would be doing that and/or coating it in something safe too.

the problem with student acrylic is its waterbased so while it may be non toxic it will dissolve unless its embeeded in epoxy NB some colours will not work in solvent based epoxies as the pigment prevents it from setting

as for the concrete it will effect the PH of the water for some time unless its completely sealed i just see it as un nessary weight and hassle depending on wat u are doing for example u could justify its use in a large public display where ppl would be touching it or if the concrete actually formed part of the tank itself

I made a background a couple of weeks ago and just used a hot air paint stripper to melt the poly into shape and also found a soldering iron quite good for cutting grouves into the back ground.

I was thinking of coating it with pondpaint you can get a translucent one from mitre 10 would this be OK or would it need to be somthing tougher

I made a background a couple of weeks ago and just used a hot air paint stripper to melt the poly into shape and also found a soldering iron quite good for cutting grouves into the back ground.

I was thinking of coating it with pondpaint you can get a translucent one from mitre 10 would this be OK or would it need to be somthing tougher

it mite be ok ring whoeva makes it and ask as long as its not solvent based (solvent based wont paint over poly without melting it) if its for a pond it should be safe for an aquarium but check it out with the makers as for strength if its just normal community fish a couple of coats would do it if its for bigger fish paint it then sprinkle sand on the wet paint then paint over it again a few times this makes it stronger if its for turtles or beardies use epoxy

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i use water based paint on my fish tank backgrounds let it dry for a week and then hose down a few times then put in tank and flush tank 3times to make shore there is no paint in the water.

if the paint was guna come off then they would not use it on houses.

the reason you cant use a poly resin is that it will melt the poly rock you have made so there for you will have to do another one. and if you use an epoxy once it is dry you will have to wash it a few times to wash of any residue that maybe left there. :P :lol:

i did a lot of research into what to use a while back in this post , i was concerned about using acylic paint as i have no idea what paint was made from i rung a scientist at resene he couldnt garentee it wouldnt leach out over time he said most acylic paint now is low VOC so may be alrite but suggested tessting it with cheap fish(i didnt like that idea), a few other reps i spoke to told me not to use their products unless i wanted chips with my fish (these were various poly paints and some epoxies) . i spoke about the low VOC paint to 1 rep who told me its used on roofs that are used to collect rainwater for drinking, i reminded him that 20 years ago lead paint was used for the same thing. rockwork i think this goes to show no amount of researech can beat experience i certainly think household paint is a lot easier to apply than epoxy

• 1 month later...

Hi there, this is new to me but thinking of making a backing for my Newt terrarium

60cm W x 30cm D x 60cm H.

Can you use just the normal polystyrene like that you'd put under your fish tank. of course thicker though.

The epoxy resin does that seal the polystyrene, so it would be safe for habitants.

Could you use any sort of sand, and if so i suppose nothing would be stopping you from doing a few coats of resin then sand, and sand in different places to make a differnt shade. Would that work. Main thing is i would not want to kill the little guy.

If Alright like that you could make a bottom so it has an island with a mott around it of water

any thoughts

Thanks

yep you can use normal polystyrene but the thicker it is the more expensive its white gold! the latest back grond ive built i didnt use epoxy but ordinary acrylic house paint instead(thanks rockwork for the tips ) the ones i coated with epoxy however are far more durable and as solid as rock for a newt this kind of durability would be unnessacary. have a play around with different carving tools and rock or tree root types on scrap pieces first then once you have figured out what you want carve the good piece