Clarification on Vallisneria spiralis

VinsonMassif

I wanted clarification on straight Val. I emailed MAF about it and they pointed me to the National Pest Plant Accord

Then I rang my regional council (Auckland). They said that you may not sell, propagate, or distribute Straight Val. They strongly recommend any outdoors is destroyed. Well I knew this already.

I specifically asked about keeping it in the aquarium. The ARC representative on the phone told me that if it was retained in my aquarium, and not propagated or distributed at any time then there shouldn't be an issue.

The rep also told me that this is a "surveillance pest plant" and they could not prosecute anyone over this plant.

I found this particularly interesting.

Have you considered just using a hair straightening product? :lol:

Well actually I did. I found that the GHD was the most effective. In particular it cut down on split ends when used in conjunction with the official spray on conditioner. However I stopped using it because I couldn't stomach the boiled broccoli smell.

smiley_bouncegroupcrazy.gif

My understanding is as follows:

There are at least three species of val in NZ, and the twisted or corkscrew val is the only one allowed.

Spiralis refers to the shape of another part of the plant, not the shape of the leaves - so spiralis is on the pest plant list.

The reason (as far as I have been told) that all straight Val's are on the list is that there is no way to distinguish the difference when plants are small (ie tank size). So the huge destructive one looks the same as the smaller one. Oh well, luckily we have lots of other options. I have made the decision to remove any of my pest plants so that I can't accidentally propogate or distribute them!!

DOC won't prosecute but regional councils can. I don't know how many there are but 15 have signed up the pest plant accord. Going after someone for having a few plants in their tanks is not going to be cost-effective for any regional council - the paper trail etc is huge in any breach of compliance where a fine would be considered. Fines can be given, and from memory they are big!!

My info comes in part from friends in Doc and Regional council, and part from info from this forum and other internet sites - I have some val (corkscrew) in my tanks!!

Sam

My understanding is as follows:

Spiralis refers to the shape of another part of the plant, not the shape of the leaves - so spiralis is on the pest plant list.

It refers to the flowering part of the plant.

The reason (as far as I have been told) that all straight Val's are on the list is that there is no way to distinguish the difference when plants are small (ie tank size).

The straight val is easy to pick because it is flat with leaves extending in the realm of 2m in the aquarium. Whereas the spiral val is spiraled and narrower.

DOC won't prosecute but regional councils can.

I refered to Auckland Regional Council who stated that they cannot.

Sam

From what I'm aware of, the only one that is blanket banned (i.e. is on the National Plant Pest Accord - linked in the first post of this thread) is V. gigantea.

However other species are getting controlled/banned through district councils (so people may be correct saying such and such species is or isn't banned - in THEIR REGION). For example Environment Waikato has ALL vallisneria species as potential plant pests.

For those questioning my saying all val species (remember - just in EW jurisdiction) the link is here:

http://www.ew.govt.nz/policyandplans/rp ... ive5.4.htm

Scroll down to find Freshwater eelgrass, also remember that sp. is used for a single species and spp. is species, plural.

Thanks Caryl - I stand corrected - V. spiralis is there too - though it does appear to depend on which list you look at.

The initial list I looked at http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests-di ... t-list.htm only has V. gigantea listed.

But then Caryl's link has both - no wonder I'm confused.

It's different to my printed book as well. They're obviously updating it online on a regular basis. I'll add this link to our homepage as it's a very good reference.