Endlers (Venezuelan guppies) in NZ

cesarz

Hi Folks,

Now that there are confirmed real Endler's livebearers in New Zealand, I toured the fish shops in Auckland and there are still some available for sale. I also found some of the same type of endlers in the "cold water guppy" tanks usually used as feeder fish! I have not confirmed the source of these venezuelan guppies (and the feeder fish) but I suspect the endlers have been in NZ for a long time and somebody (the source) has been breeding them.

In the past I have looked at some of the guppys from the thermal springs near Rotorua and some of those fish have really good colours almost the same as the venezuelan (endlers) guppies.

Your thoughts....

Are you saying the "Venezuala" guppies in the shops are Endlers? I had no idea but now that I think about it they were quite alot different to the wild type guppies - much more vibrant! There were quite a few of them in the shops up here about 2 or 3 months ago.

Mel :)

Hi All.

I have been on the "HUNT" for some for a long time now along with "oryzias sp." and have not been able to actually have a beastie in my hand.

Also I have heard that ll the available Endlers are in fact males.

That wouldn't matter as after about four generations of crossing with reticulata females the strain will be fixe.

:bow:

Jansens has them in today and Hollywood did on Saturday, not the same lot I think as they were different colours.

So more than 1 phenotype is available? Cool. I wonder if these are from wild caught of facility breed? I guess there is almost no way of knowing.

Yes KA,

So far I have seen two phenotypes

1. Wild type blonde hybrid, same as number 22 on http://swampriveraquatics.com/_wsn/page2.html

2. Black bar lyretail hybrid, similar to number 10 but lyretail

http://swampriveraquatics.com/

According to the endlers r us classification, they belong to the K class which means endlers that have been bred with other livebearers (in this case to guppies)

I pick up a blonde Endler 2 days ago and plan to do just that Keri Anna.

Do they have that cool patterned lyre-tail like the one you posted above?? That and the orange would look just incredible on an albino :lol:

Addicted? Huh?? No idea what you're talking about.....