Fish recommendation for 130L tank pls

Dubbo

Hi all, frist time visitor to the forum, seeking some advice on getting new fishes in an aquarium. I have one of these AR620T tall 130L tanks, and I am kinda thinking of putting more fishes in it cause the colors are abit bleak at the moment, but I am not sure if I should put more in.

The ones I have now are:

4 mature tiger barbs

5 mature/semi-mature golden tiger barbs

1 rainbow shark

1 jewel cichlid

I am thinking of putting in some additional silver colored fish such as congo tetras, but since I should really get 5+ of them I am not sure if I'd have room.

The tank is well planted also, and the water quality has been reliably good. I plan to keep doing 20% water changes every 2 weeks. Do you think I could add 5 more large tetras in there without making the water quality worse ?

Does anyone also know if replacing dead fishes with smaller pet shop ones are a good idea. I originally had 6 tiger barbs and 6 golden tiger barbs, but some died over time. I want to get some more from pet shop to build up their numbers but I am kinda skeptical whether they will get beaten up to a pulp seeing how mine are all grown up.

Hi all, frist time visitor to the forum, seeking some advice on getting new fishes in an aquarium. I have one of these AR620T tall 130L tanks, and I am kinda thinking of putting more fishes in it cause the colors are abit bleak at the moment, but I am not sure if I should put more in.

The ones I have now are:

4 mature tiger barbs

5 mature/semi-mature golden tiger barbs

1 rainbow shark

1 jewel cichlid

I am thinking of putting in some additional silver colored fish such as congo tetras, but since I should really get 5+ of them I am not sure if I'd have room.

The tank is well planted also, and the water quality has been reliably good. I plan to keep doing 20% water changes every 2 weeks. Do you think I could add 5 more large tetras in there without making the water quality worse ?

i would hope you can get more, otherwise my ar620t is hugely overstocked :D

Heya,

I have an AR620T also. In mine i have

5 cherry Barbs

5 Flame Tetras

1 Angel

1 Golden bristlenose.

Due to the height of the tank, the stocking limit i have been advised for it (By the cool people on the tropical tank forums) is 79cm of adult fish.

(tank dimensions give you 62x38/30 = 79cm of stock)

130L, but the height and smaller water surface area makes it a lower stocking total.

Your tank stock at the moment would be:

4 mature tiger barbs (7cmx4) 28cm

5 mature/semi-mature golden tiger barbs (7cmx5) 35cm

1 rainbow shark (1x15cm) 15cm

1 jewel cichlid (10-15cm?) 15cm

So thats about 93cm of stock at adult size allready... quite a bit overstocked for the size of the tank, maybe thats why you have had a few fish losses allready?? I would also think a 10-15% water change weekly would really make a difference compared to a 20% one each fortnight.

I definetly wouldnt add more fish. Ive found with a tank of this hight, a bigger school of smaller fish and one or so feature one looks more active and full than a few larger growing fish.

I had 6 adult tiger barbs in my 620T but then changed the tank to what i have now because it looked really empty.

Vindy500 - what do you have in your 620T??

In saying this, i have only been keeping tropical aquariums for a year or so, do plenty of reading etc - but im sure there are other super experienced people on here who can comment.

Ami

Just to add a bit more to think about.....

Some things that might influence stocking levels are: 1. how well planted your tank is, 2. what kind of filtration system you have, 3. surface movement for oxygenation.

Ivé never really been a fan of the taller tank types, but thats just a personal thing, something about them just bugs me for no real reason.

^ Yeah, all good things to take into consideration.

I querieed putting a bubble wall up the back of my 620T to agitate the surface for better oxygenation, but then just angled the filter output upwards to break the surface which i find good.

Also building it up to being a fully planted tank except from the front..

I almost regretted getting it after i set it up, as you have to take about 30% of the water out to really get in there if you want to re arange or re plant stuff, but on the otherhand i think the size and height really makes it stick out as a feature in my room. And my Angelfish Steve loves it :)

Haha a bit of an Aqua One 620T club goin on :D

Caper - the size of the 620T which Vindy500/F&C/Dubbo and myself have is:

62W x 38D x 72H cm

looks like this:

19_Page_1_Image_0003.jpg

Seems everyone else has waaay more fish in theirs than me :oops: I thought the stocking level was way lower..

Although im very happy with how it looks!

Vindy500- thats 52 fish including an angel fish and silver shark?! How long have they all been in there and do you do heaps of water changes??

Im intregued.

How do your siamese fighter and Angel fish get along. Ive always wanted a betta but have read alot that placing them in a tank with Angels who are also aggressive fish - they usually fight. But then there seem to be people who have no problems at all?

I was thinking of setting up a seperate 20L betta tank... But the idea of having one in my community is more appealing...

Ami

Ahh ^ I see.

I thought even though it's tall as long as you choose how your fishes populate the strat in your tank it'll be ok ?

Hmm, i havnt heard this before. As far as i know, the surface area is to do with the whole oxygination of the tank... so regardless of what level your fish are at, there is only a certain amount of oxygen permiating the water..

Hey Leviathan nice tank, is that yours ? I want to know did you grow plants that nice with the original light tubes that was in it. With the original light tubes I calculate I'd get no more than 0.9 WPG. I think that's the reason my plants aren't doing too well. I know I could get some fittings and lighttubes etc, but I kinda dont want to spend too much money on it cause I am looking forward to getting a big tank soon, and I'd rather save up money for that and make that one proper.

My jewel cichlid is new to the tank, I will see what will happen, as I understand some guide says they will be very territorial during spawning seasons, it's still quite young right now. I tried to introduce another jewel cause I thought it would make this one happy but it just wont work, I wonder how they get to have 2 of those in a fishtank in pet shops without problem. From experience it's almost as if introducing only 2 fishes of the same kind is usually not a good idea unlses the fishes are very peaceful.

I understand the oxygenation part of the aquarium, but none of my fishes are gasping for breath, so that should be ok right ? Plus all the plants in the aquarium produces oxygens anyway. I think if anything I am over oxygenating, because I used to fill my tank up lower than the top of the outlet which means a lot of water disturbance at the surface I am thinking of making a DYI CO2 system though as described in some of the guides.

heh yeah i just got that pic off the aqua one website. Might take some pics of my tank and stick them up on here soon tho. You guys should put some up too :)

I have a white and a blue light tube in my tank and the plants seem to be growing fine without even using flourish or fertiliser balls or anything (altho im thinking of using some soon to see what the difference it makes).

Im not sure if those tubes were the standard ones though as i bought the unit second hand and it had a marine nano reef in it before.

Haha a bit of an Aqua One 620T club goin on :D

Caper - the size of the 620T which Vindy500/F&C/Dubbo and myself have is:

62W x 38D x 72H cm

looks like this:

19_Page_1_Image_0003.jpg

Seems everyone else has waaay more fish in theirs than me :oops: I thought the stocking level was way lower..

Although im very happy with how it looks!

Isn't photoshop fantastic! Look where the glue join is in the back of the picture, it doesn't match where the join should be in the back of the tank