Pet insects and spiders

supasi

Just out of interest. what sort of critters are people keeping.

And not really meaning things like locust that are bred for reptile food, was more thinking of spiders or the likes.

just curious as went on a walk today and found huge numbers of large wolf spiders and wondered if a hunting type spider can be kept and feed etc. :-?

I remember many years ago my brother walked one of the West Coast tracks and came home with a heap of native snail shells. He found them in a pile at the foot of a fence post and assumed they had been dropped there by a feasting Kea. They were nice looking shells and huge. I think they are carnivors aren't they?

I adopted a Powelliphanta "Augustus" from Happy Valley but they were evicted and last I heard was living in a fridge in DOC Hokitika :(

Does that count?

Alan, I think they're the carnivorous ones you were talking about, remember seeing a model of one eating a giant worm at Te Papa.

At home I currently don't have much. I do have a pet White tail Spider though.

At work i have a few Natives/ Introduced species, like Vagrants, Tunnelwebs, Avondales, Mantids, Crickets, Roaches (both Gizzie and American), Locusts, Flies, Fruit flies, 4 Beehives, Backswimmers and a few other things...

cooooool!

I kept bag worms as a kid, loved them. And occasionally had a spider but usually released them soon after.

I would so love to have native land snails, but it is not exactly legal.

are those the ones that are some of the largest in the world? Flax snails I think they are called? I would love to keep them as a pet.

Can you keep wolf spiders??

I dont think that they make webs to catch food, just stalk them.Does this mean that i could keep them and feed them flies etc?

A bit off topic now.

My mate last year caught a wolf spider and a white tail and put them together in a jar. bearing in mind that the wolf spider was ten times bigger than the white tail, the whte tail killed it within seconds of attack. Scary..... :o