Lighting question??

kd123

just remember that some of the aquarium fittings are especially designed for use around aquaria and thus have waterproof fittings etc. just make sure that whatever lighting you choose it's safe.

You can buy external water proof ones. 5ft ones are about $90

• 4 months later...

Just looking back over old threads about lighting and this one basically answers my question except, how do you work out how much light you need using std fluro lights? I have to make a decision soon for the sparky as they are being built in to the new kitchen area.

I will have a 655 litre glass tank (1.55m x 0.65 x0.65) which will contain sand, rocks and a range of cichlids in the main, so no plants. Can anyone give me an idea please?

Thanks! :D

Get your sparky to allow you to have more than one level of light.

This will give you some flexibilty with lighting levels, colours etc.

Instal wiring for two or three or more tubes with seperate switching options. Do it while you can!!

Get your sparky to allow you to have more than one level of light.

This will give you some flexibilty with lighting levels, colours etc.

Instal wiring for two or three or more tubes with seperate switching options. Do it while you can!!

Good thinking, WEKA.

I'm in favour of flexible options whenever possible and it sounds like you have the ideal opportunity! You may want to change the tank in future and go for a planted tank, or a different type of fish, or (maybe when selling the house) try for a different, more lush look.

I would suggest asking the sparky to install as many light fittings as can practically fit in the space, and ask for a separate switch for each light. Is there any way you can have timers installed too?

That way you can choose to only use the lights you want at that moment, and perhaps have a range of different lights for different times - a moonlight look for early morning and evening, brighter lights in the middle of the day, or turn them all on for task lighting if you're doing tank maintenance.

ooooh I want a built-in tank! :bounce:

Normal fittings will rust tho with the condensation on them when they are not running and are cold. Means you may replace them after 4-5 years, but by then you may need some motivation to upgrade the lighting anyway so its not all bad ;)

You can buy external water proof ones. 5ft ones are about $90

i think u will find most aquarium 1s are merely splashproof , and do not meet the protection standards of the type u can buy as external fittings, so these are not absolutly necessary a lot of shops use normal house hold fittings with the difusser taken off , this shouldnt be a problem if u have good lids on ur tanks