Moving a sword plant

rollergirl

I had a re-arrange of my planted tank today and got rid of all the indian fern that was growing along the back of the tank and blocking the light from my plants at the front. Now I've decided I like the slightly barer look better, I want to move my 'showpiece' sword slightly back so that it is more centred. It's pretty well established (grown in tank from 10cm to 25cm+ over about 4 months), I think the variety is Marbled Queen Sword. I'm assuming it will be pretty well rooted, do I just dig around the bottom of it to get the roots loose then move over? Don't want to damage it if possible. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! :D

If it is 25cm it is just a baby. They are a variegated cordifolius (radicans) and it is likely to grow to a metre or more so I hope you have a big tank. They go through two stages of growth, one where they are a nice compact plant and then all hell brakes lose and they try to run away with the aquarium lid and all you see from the front of the tank is stalks. You can retard this second stage by cutting off the stage two leaves, cutting the roots periodically or knocking the growth back by moving it as you have (because the existing roots will die and it will grow new ones).

i moved a couple of my swords that outgrew a small tank into a bigger tank and all i did was pull then up holding the base then cut the roots about 2cm from the base and they showed no sign of any harm and haven't stopped growing. that was the recomendation of a very experienced guy that i know